 Robotics / 15824
RE: Power inlet to RCX 1.5?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 02:09:33 GMT

That's right, Darren,
but I'm not from Britain, so I'll look at the product for ideas. Is it
necessary to fill the entire battery bay, or will one AA suffice
to provide
the power needed? Also, I'm not only pondering the technicalities of
building dummy AAs, but also the actual voltage I have to supply, for 9.6
Volts didn't yield any results. Does anybody have any clues on this issue?

There are 12 contact pads in the battery bay. One is the + lead to the RCX,
one is the - lead to the RCX, and the other 10 are used to connect the
batteries in series. You need to supply power to the two contact pads that
connect to the RCX circuit. These will certainly not be part of the same
battery location. Chances are that they are in opposite corners of the bay.
You'll need a multimeter to confirm the locations, or use trial and error.
So you will need two dummies. One connects the + lead, the other the - lead.
You could use a pair of batteries instead of dummies, and squeeze a wire in
between the battery end and the contact pad. Leave at least one battery out
if you do that.

A fresh set of Energizer Alkaline batteries will supply 9.6V with a small
load. Once you turn on a motor, the voltage will immediately drop to 9V or
below, even with fresh batteries. So to be safe, I would not supply more
than 9V. Also make sure that your power supply is not too powerful.
Otherwise, if you accidentially short circuit a RCX output, you could
overload some internal components.

Tilman