 Robotics / 14853
  Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"

The closest thing to an anti-backlash gear is the Conical gear (a misnomer). It can be used to load a gear train. I have used this in a design by Iain Hendry. (URL) have tried using a second motor in the gear train with a slight reverse current. (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"

Whoa, I gotta think about this one for awhile..... (...) (23 years ago, 3-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"

It's not so much the "conical" gear that takes the backlash out of the setup that Bob Fay provided links to, but the ability to use the technic axles as torsion springs and keep the gear teeth in the train loaded at all times. That particular gear (...) (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"

(...) What set(s) include this "conical" gear? (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: I wish Lego made an "Anti-Backlash Gear"

(...) Far as I can tell, these are the gears used in the gearboxes in 8880, 8448, 8480, and prob'ly others. ROSCO (23 years ago, 4-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)