 Robotics / 14680
Re: Solar-Powered Hexapod Walker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.dacta
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:59:29 GMT

Lawrence Wilkes wrote:

Great model.

Would the solar cell power an RCX unit?

I built a large model of the Mars Rover using an RCX and adding a Solar
Panel would be great
http://www.wilkesworld.co.uk/lego/marsrover.htm

regards
lawrence

I couldn't possibly imagine a single solar cell powering an RCX. Maybe
an array of ten? The solar cell barely has the juice to drive the 5225
motor, and that's both under direct sunlight and under a 2 million
candlepower spotlight at 6 inches. To fully power an RCX, three output
ports at max and powered sensors, it would definitely take a whole
battery (no pun intended) of solar cells. The next time the sun comes
out here (grin) I'll take some output measurements with my voltmeter and
post some observed specs for the solar cell.

--

Regards

Micah J. Mabelitini - LUGNET #918
The University of Kentucky
SECC Middlesboro Academic Skills Resource Center
accutron@kih.net - http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/