 Robotics / 13205
Re: Tank (Re: Tracks)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:48:58 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Juergen Stuber writes:
tnt@arnesson.nu (Tobbe Arnesson) writes:

...and I always figured those "RIS tracks" to short LOL!

Me too, so I tinkered with the Cybermaster Tracks sunday afternoon.

Some notes:

- The tracks are longer than the RIS tracks, but still too short.

- The original support structure from Cybermaster looks awful,
due to its wedge shape.

- The yellow wheels are really awfully untankishly colored,
but they are the only thing that can drive these tracks.
They have about the same size as 24t gears, but only 20 teeth,
so normal gears don't get a good grip on these tracks.
So I used one to drive each track and hid it behind a pulley.
In normal use they are not very prominent, unlike the photos
taken with flash.

- I originally wanted to put the RCX inside, but then this
thing would have become too wide, and I would have had
a hard time to find place for the turret.

- Driving works nicely, it can go over a small battery box
without falling over.

- The turret rotates too fast, but I didn't find any space
to gear it down.

- There is a micromotor to lower/raise the cannon, but the range is
a bit small and it tends to jam.

- The tracks ought to be covered from above, but there is no space
left between the turret and the tracks.

Overall I'm about 80% satisfied.  If I try again I'll place
the turntable a little bit higher to gain some space in the body.

Jürgen

Actually I thought that looked really nice...functons seem like they would
work pretty well too.

You could try to use a "worm" gear to gear down the turntable; it can
usually get the job done without using too much space...