 Robotics / 10497
Re: Robotic Vision (was: Video image analisys)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 19:16:37 GMT

James:

You wrote:

I have seen this program (NIH) at a workshop, and it was pretty incredible.
I checked on the PC version (Scion makes this) and it is very similar.  It
says that it can measure (distances?)  Could this be used as "vision" for a
robot?  Could this be used to "tell" a robot where it is?

Lots of questions, and fairly excited about the future!

Absolutely, something like NIH can be used either for determining
where your robot is in the world (eg. with a fixed camera looking down at
your robot), or telling where things are relative to your robot with a
robot mounted camera.

There are a number of important issues to address, like

1) calibrating from Image Space which is usually in pixels, to world space,
which has real world units, or robot space, which is a coordinate system
attached to your robot.
2) figuring out what features can be measured reliably to give you useful
measurements in a non-structured scene
3) addressing the issue of getting 3 dimensional measurements from an
inherently 2 dimensional detector.

There are many solutions to each of these problems and you can have
a lot of fun exploring the possibilities.

--joel

Joel Katz, Principal Engineer  --- (603)-577-5895
Acuity Imaging, 9 Townsend West, Nashua, NH 03063 --- (603)-577-5965 (FAX)
visit our Web Site at     >>> www.acuityimaging.com <<<