 Robotics / 10496
Re: Robotic Vision (was: Video image analisys)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:12:26 GMT

I have seen this program (NIH) at a workshop, and it was pretty incredible.
I checked on the PC version (Scion makes this) and it is very similar.  It
says that it can measure (distances?)  Could this be used as "vision" for a
robot?  Could this be used to "tell" a robot where it is?

Lots of questions, and fairly excited about the future!

Marco:
       You are correct that Halcon is a commercial offering. I understand
that it is very highly regarded. One of the Premier offerings in the arena
of Machine Vision is NIH Image, which is(or was) in the public domain. You
can find it at:

http://rsb.info.nih.gov/nih-image/Default.html

My company sells a Mac Based Machine Vision product called Image Analyst
and we've often been asked, why should I buy your product when I can get
most of its capabilities for free in NIH Image. (You didn't hear that from
me, though).

--joel

You wrote.

After checking Pong Suvan's apps/lib (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/psksvp/),
I checked HALCON 5.2 (http://www.mvtec.com/), as was my intention.

HALCON looks like a very powerfull, well documented, well done and easy to
use (through HDeveloper and/or the COM version) software package.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it has two disadvantages:

1) It looks like a *commercial* oriented package, well beyond my home Lego
robotic vision project. :(

2) It doesn't support general Video for Windows video cards/frame grabbers,
only specific models of frame grabbers.

So, I'll keep searching for a while and if I can't find any good
alternative, I'll stick to freeware Pong Suvan's good solution.

Any suggestions, links, etc.. on this subject are welcome to help me in
this project.

thxs :)

Joel Katz, Principal Engineer  --- (603)-577-5895
Acuity Imaging, 9 Townsend West, Nashua, NH 03063 --- (603)-577-5965 (FAX)
visit our Web Site at     >>> www.acuityimaging.com <<<

James C. Jones
Liberty Middle School
3405 S. Chickasaw Trail