 Publishing / Photography / 71
Re: The Brick Testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:39:48 GMT

In lugnet.build.ancient, Alfred Speredelozzi writes:
Do you think having Jar Jar in the garden of Eden has anything
to do with Adam's downfall?  Maybe he is just back luck? :)

Maybe so, maybe so.  @8^)

Did you spot his other cameo appearance?

I also liked how Noah is upset about the change in project
requirements late in the production phase.

Noah had it tough -- of course, not as tough as the thousands (millions?) of
his contemporaries who died in The Flood, but still.

I decided to put any such non-Biblical dialogue or thought bubble text I
threw in there in gray text to differentiate it from the rest, which is
straight quoting from the source.  Tried to keep it as "real" as possible.

Anyway, I love these pictures!  The story is cool but the
pictures are awesome.

Thanks!  Well, I can take some credit for the photography, but if you have
problems with the story, you'll have to take it up with the man upstairs.

You could be a professional Idea Book photographer.  Care to
share your technique?

Again, thanks.  I used a Nikon Coolpix 950 digital camera.  First of all,
the best thing is that with a digital camera I can take 30 attempts at each
photo and later pick from the best of the shoot.  Also it's got a very handy
"macro" focus setting for focusing on things that are extremely close to the
lens.  It also puts everything else in the background into a nice
out-of-focus haze, so you can have a busy background scene, but still have
the focus on one thing in the foreground.

I took the Garden of Eden set out on to my porch to shoot it in natural
lighting.  This had some nice effects, but it wasn't practical to shoot
everything outside, so most of it is indoor photography.  No special
lighting, just making sure I had adequte lighting for the area.

The cloudy blue sky background seen in many of the photos is just two pieces
of posterboard with a cloud pattern printed on them.  I just happened to
have them lying around the house, but it works pretty well.  I did have to
do a bit of work in Paint Shop Pro to patch up some ugly spots here and
there, like where the two pieces of posterboard come together, etc.

Finally, I was aided by a feature of ACDSee called "auto levels" which I
find can almost always improve the colors, brightness, and constrast of any
given photo.

That's about it.  I like to think I'm a decent photographer, but it
certainly helps to have the right equipment and software.

Take care,

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith