 Publishing / HTML / 326
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:11:21 GMT

Bruce Schlickbernd <corsair@schlickbernd.org> wrote:
Plain blah text messages are what I would call "post-it" notes and that
defines Lugnet, so I'm of the opposite opinion. If this was a less
visual hobby then Lego, maybe it would matter as much to me.

Nah, you can draw on a post-it note. You can even use colored pencils. :)

What I mean by "post-it note style" is that there's a big, grid-like
board, and conversation happens by people coming and putting a note into
the general area of the board where they want to say something. Replies
are then people tacking further post-its on the bottom of those. If you
stop by the board every couple of weeks, gah, it's a whole new mess of
layered notes.

Real threads are nice, and the thread/message management utilties of a
real newsreader (or in a different way, of the web interface).

As for lugnet and "plain blah text" -- not necesarily so. See:
<http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=2106>.

I love the avatars, but as mentioned, this is about as far as Lugnet is
going to go, so bugging Todd probably won't have an effect. I still like
Lugnet as is - something better has to come along before I'll move on.

Perhaps you are underestimating my ability to be annoying. :)

I don't know how customizable C-C is, but I know they are working at
refining it.

As I said from the beginning, it's not the main Classic-Castle site that I
dislike (that's basically a blog, which I find to be just fine). It's the
discussion forum software, which isn't anything unique to C-C. From that
point of view, it's *completely* customizable. :)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>