 Publishing / 4917
4916  |  4918
Subject:
Brickshelf Upload Utility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2007 04:46:23 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I’ve been working on a Brickshelf upload utility similar to Flickr Uploadr. It helps streamline the process of zipping a bunch of files and navigating to or creating the appropriate folder to upload them. These screenshots are of a scruffy work in progress.

First you log in using your Brickshelf account:

Login Window

The files to upload are listed on the left and the upload destination is configured on the right. Currently only the “Folder” options are implemented: you can choose to upload the files into an existing folder or you can create a new folder.

Main Window

You can enter tags manually or choose from Brickshelf’s “standard” keywords:

Standard Tag Window

To-do:
  • Validation of file types and field entries
  • Mac and Windows integration (ie, drag-and-drop)
  • Image preview pane (necessary?)
  • Image preprocessing
  • Better error reporting
Eventually I may need a Windows beta tester, preferably someone I recognize from the LDraw community and someone familiar with Tcl/Tk or willing to install it. (The final version will be self contained on all platforms.)

So, that’s where it’s at. It works nicely, but there is not inconsiderable work to be done before it is really user-friendly. Because of the relative popularity of Brickshelf, recent events notwithstanding, I am disinclined to release anything until then.

It has occurred to me that this would be a worthy acquisition for Brickshelf’s proprietor to offer as a perk for premium accounts. I’m open to that possibility, but otherwise I intend to put this in the public domain once it’s done.

Comments?

Jim