 Publishing / 4876
Re: Thank you, Eric, and 2 more Photoshop questions!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 22:52:13 GMT

In lugnet.publish, David Simmons wrote:
Mr. Sophie,

Just wanted to thank you heartily and most gratefully for your help in my
Photoshop endeavors.  The Auto Contrast and Auto Color functions have been a
monumental blessing from the digital goddess!

You are quite welcome. It is very helpful indeed to use those functions!
Although I am merely passing on tips I got from people here on LUGENT in the
past. Kudos to sharing knowledge.

In that regard, I'm now very eager to apply these features to all the images on
my site.  However, I'm running into some trouble figuring out how to run a batch
program for this as I am NOT going to do them all one by one!  Do you know if it
is possible to run a batch like this and have you done it before?

This I admit is just out of my reach. I know there is an automation process.
However, when I have images that need to be rotated the batch process cannot
differentiate between landscape and portrait. So I never really learned how to
automate, rather I go through them manualy.

For strictly doing levels enhancement or other simple commands, the batch
process is very handy. I just need to figure out for myself. I honestly am not
sure how at this time. Anyone else know?

Secondly, where's the button on the top control panel that takes me to the next
image in the directory?  I can't seem to find it and I'm SURE that such a simple
command exists in Photoshop!

Hmmm, you can double click on the back ground to get the dialog box to Open
File. Or you can select a bunch of images from a folder (or the Open File Dialog
box) and then drag them in to photoshop and it will open all of them.

Is that what you mean?

Also, one other trick I have been meaning to tell you:

When you are done working with your image, here is an easy way to optimize your
photo (meaning to compress it - with out to much loss in fidelity) -

Save your image. Then do it again as "save as", then save over the existing
image; replace it, you will then see a dialog box come up that asks you at what
quality you want to save your image. Use the slide box or enter a number and you
will see the file sizes photoshop can save it at.

I usually make my images 800x600(width-height respectively) and make the file
size at around or under 200kb. Enter a number from 7 - to - 10 to see the file
size and quality options. Then hit save. You'll notice that the image has
reduced in file size, thus will load faster.

---------

One other item, be sure to resize your photos first before you upload (FTP) them
to your web site. Some web designer programs can direct the browser to display
the image at a certain size while the image itself is actually bigger.

So when you view the site, the browers displays the image at a specified size,
but in reality, if you check the "deep link" url for the picture, it may be
bigger, the original size is still being downloaded in to your computer.

You may think you are saving your viewers from loading a big picture, really it
is the brower and the web design that determine what the true picture size is
when viewing. The photo still loads as a large picture, and is just displayed as
desired through the web design itself, through the browser.

I am not sure if your site has any of these issues, I did not check.

Example, there were some famous entertainers who had cropped photos on their
site. When you right click on the image and choose properties, you can get the
direct url for the picture. Then when you enter that url for the direct link to
that picture in to the browser, you were able to see the full photo.

Unbeknownest to them.

The web design itself specified the way the original was to be displayed;
cropped. When in fact the entire photo could be seen when checking the direct
link.

The result was a photo with, shall we say a bare chest, made decent by cropping
the lower section out, in the web design process. Looking at the direct link
showed the full picture not modified by the web design browser parameters. The
web design program still refers to the original when you crop it in the program
rather than then doing it before hand in say, photoshop or another utility.

I hope I explained that right, it is a quirky thing that can happen.

Lesson: Resize your photos out side the web design program, do not use the web
design program to crop or resize, it is only displaying what you tell it to. The
original images are still there as part of the FTP index.

If you upload a 1600x1200 image, and you tell the browser to display a 800x600
image, the original 1600x1200 image is the actual size and is still downloaded
by the browser, just displayed according to the web design specs.

Sorry if that sounded confusing, I have noticed this a few times in different
sites and I am not sure if I am explaining it correctly, or if the rule is
absolute when it comes to php or other methods. If a program trully modifies a
file during the web design process, then you should be safe. Rule of thumb I
learned was to resize outside the web design program as well as rename the file
so there is no confusion within the naming conventions when saving.
Or when the file is added to the FTP index.

Gah, web theory!

Dave S.

:)

Eric Sophie