 Pirates / 4066
4065  |  4067
Subject:
HM Cutter Swallow
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:32:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello All,

No one has posted any new MOC’s to .pirates recently, and I remembered I hadn’t uploaded these yet, so here they are.

HM Cutter Swallow: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=100660

I modified a popular Pirate kit, the Imperial Flagship. This type of ship is what is known as a cutter - not the modern sailing yacht, but the old 18th - 19th centuries ship useful for anti-piracy and anti-smuggling work. These ships were small with a deep stable hull for more accurate gunnery and with seemingly too much rigging for their size (the bowsprit as long as the hull was typical!) Prototype cutters had the upper part of their hull built clinker-style (overlapping planks, rather than carvel-built, butting side to side) making this Lego kit IMO one of the most realistic and accurate ships they ever produced.

I modified the kit by ripping off the stern and making it less high, substituting only one lantern for the two, and generally making it a simpler, less ornate ship. The cannons are built from a Richie Dulin design (thanks, Richie!) so I could have four, smaller cannons (this would be more realistic). A Lieutenant to command the ship and his loyal crew of sailors and marines (1 marine!) round it all off.

My SLR camera is more accurate than I thought - all that grey-white stuff on my model would be dust!

Hope everyone likes it!

Aaron :)