 Pirates / 293
Re: Monetary units? (was: Re: FA: $4000!!! (Tiles))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western, lugnet.town, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 08:58:35 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Todd Lehman writes:
Hmm, do either the coins or the tile have a $ sign on them?  If I'm not
mistaken, all the LEGO minifig money is actually in blurgs rather than
dollars.

Hey, wait, even though the 1x2 tiles and the coins don't have $'s on them,
don't the Western/Wild West and Town safes and ATM's have $'s on them?

Hmmm...I think since we're discussing pirate dublurgs (sort of like blurg
dubloons) this belongs there too.  I know that I've got a virtual mint in gold
and silver!

Anyhow, I wonder what the Wild West/Town Dollar-to-Pirate/Wild West Blurg
ratio is?  Now, I'm sure that the Wild West money is borrowed against specie
(gold) so theoretically all of those coins are worth the same amount with
respect to LEGO greenbacks.  On the other hand, we could always pretend that
the gold is of varying purity--not unreasonable given the values printed on
them.  But in either case, any conversion is thrown off completely by the fact
that modern Town money is almost certainly *not* on the gold standard.  In
either case, because the coins and their denominations appear in both WW and
Town, then they should be considered denominations in dollars (at least that's
how I do it).

This might, however, explain how the Time Cruisers had enough money to buy all
of those spiffy hats and Assistant Junior Timmies and monkeys...take that $100
back a few hundred years!

best,

Lindsay