 Pirates / 286
Re: Instore baseplates holder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 03:53:34 GMT

Richard Parsons wrote in message ...
Baseplates came up in another thread and it reminded me of a recent (small)
discovery.

Here in Oz, baseplates (32x32) are normally shelved in a yellow plastic
multi tray unit.  Its got four or five horizontal shelves (kind of like
stacked in trays) which can accommodate, I don't now, a dozen twin • baseplate
packs each.

Being always in need of more sea plates (what it is to be a piratey, eh?
:-), I tend to skim a finger down the stack whenever I pass one of these
units.  Being a bit annoyed about not finding any for a few weeks, I had a
more detailed root around.

This unit has a vertical bay running down the back of the unit.

Obviously its about making sure the unit doesn't get pushed too far back on
a standard retail shelf.
Lo and behold, two very dusty sea baseplate packs.

I have no idea whether these units are used elsewhere on the planet,
although I doubt TLCs Australian volumes would have supported moulds for
what looks like a pretty custom unit.  You may already have known this. I
didn't and it seemed worth mentioning.

In the US, the only rack I have seen is a cardboard box for the 48x48
baseplates (and I think also the Duplo base plates). At TRU, the 32x32
baseplates are in a wire rack (which may or may not be a TLC produced item).
At Walmart and K-Mart, the baseplates are just in a stack on the shelf (if
they have them).

Frank