 Pirates / 2196
Re: 3 New Priate Sets?!*#
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 16:37:46 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Todd Thuma writes:
I missed something didn't I. I was browsing the LEGO Shop Online Web Site when
I say a new category, Pirates. Confused I clicked on it to find that three new
Pirate themed sets are available; 6290 Red Beard Runner, 6291 Armada Flagship,
and 6292 Enchanted Island.

These are part of the Legends series, correct? I must have missed this
announcement or had my head in another user group at the time. I noticed these
are shipping Sept 28, 2001 according to the S@H web site.

Since I don't have the former version of these sets, can any one give me a run
down of them and your opinion on them? I would like to get them, but with all
of the options and limited funds, I am not certain which one to order now and
which ones to wait for later.

Also, any idea how long these will be available? Can we expect a year or two as
sets that come out in retail?

Todd

These are not part of the Legends series, they are part of the Classic
series.  Yes, functionally, what's the difference since they both amount to
a re-release, but it's more likely they are available for a limited time
only.  Anyway, they are not being presented as the best of the best, just a
convenient re-release.

As to the three sets:

Redbeard Runner: It's the weakest of the big ships, with some gimmicky
collapsing parts for "battle damage".  The sail set is particularly weak,
but it has the advantage of allowing hands to get in and play and move
things about.  From the display standpoint, I'd look for a used Black Seas
Barracuda without the box and probably get near to the same price (but I'm
patient).  From a play vantage, hey, it's a big ship!  If you are a
fixer-upper that likes a challenge, it gives you enough to work with.

Armada Flagship: Skimped on with only one cannon and a thin crew of three,
this is actually not bad for a medium size ship.  It's bright white and blue
color scheme makes it a happy looking ship, and the mizzen lateen sail gives
it a different look from the other narrow-hull ships (Lego seems to insist
on mounting it backwards for some odd reason - I always turn mine the
correct way).

I can't say about Enchanted Island since I don't have one.  I suppose this
is my opportunity to buy one.

Bruce