 Pirates / 1958
Re: Blue and Red Sailor/Soldier Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 14:04:47 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richard Marchetti writes:
Hey Y'all:

What is a good number of sailors or soldiers to have for a large ship, if it
were around 6 midsection elements long?

Also what exactly are the three ranks lego is trying to represent?

And how many minis of each rank should one have on a ship or base?

Should both the red and blue sailors/soldiers wear shako ("tschako") hats,
or is it more sensible for one side to do so (thus representing a German or
Hungarian force perhaps) while the other side wears tricorn hats (in the
manner of late 1700s styled British Redcoats maybe)?

Are these guys sailors, or soldiers, or both, or what?

And in an unrelated question: does anyone have good pictures of handmade
rigging used in place of TLC's slightly weird plastic rigging elements?

[And in case you wondered, what does this have to do with Lego's new
"classic" line of sets?  Why, nothing...so far!]

Thanks in advance,

-- Hop-Frog

Well, I think I can answer the rank question.  There is clearly the Admiral
figure, though the fashion can also represent a Captain.  The tri corner hat
uniform is generally an officer's uniform, and then we have the Infantry and
Artillery soldiers.  The Imperial Flagship included a sailor not in Her
Majesties service uniform, he could be a sailor by trade or an Impressed
sailor (i.e. against his freewill).  Most fighting ships held fewer officers
than trade sailors, and a small regimen of soldiers would be aboard to
ensure the Queen's law (and ranks) were keep at high seas.  I suggest you
watch some of A&E's Hornblower series if you can catch it (or rent/borrow)
for some ideas and such.
Best wishes,
-Aaron-