 Pirates / 1576
1575  |  1577
Subject:
ahoy there!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 00:21:35 GMT

Ahoy sea-dogs! :)

Let me introduce myself - I'm a corsair from Baltic sea of Poland. My fleet
isn't very big (I rather should say that it's /very small/) - just one ship (Carribean Clipper, known in Poland as "Sea Hawk"), couple of boats
and minifigs. But I'd like to share my experience with you (if we can talk
about any experience in my case) and I hope you help me became quick a real
pirate!

I should warn you, that it's my first English news group and my English is
poor, especially the sea terms, so please don't be angry, if I make a
mistake(s).

I'd like to tell you about my ship, builded from CC:

"Black Hawk" pirate ship

The ship was built basing on 6274 vessel, oryginally used by
admiral's fleet (one of the oldest Lego Pirates ships). Lack of money
wouldn't allow me to buy 6285 ("Dark Shark", called also "Black Seas
Barracuda"), so I focused on making my model possibly more similar to
pirates vessel.
I've started from making stern castle more complicated and
comfortable (for example to save the officers from the cold and
rain).
In the stern I've build a floor, with store for kegs and treasure
chests under. This store isn't avaible for the person who's playing
the ship (only if he remove the castle). There is a possibility of
building a trap doors, but I think that opening and closing them
would be very hard, almost impossible, because of very small space
inside - even a kid's hand wouldn't fit there. So I've stopped with
possibility of seeing store by looking from the front at suitable
angle.
Castle was made bigger than in CC, I've make him longer to the middle
of the ship, lifted its rear part and made a roof height gradiation
(which is the quarter deck) - the original one was completely flat.
I've equipped side walls in windows, and made rear wall angled and
opening (as in BSB). The roof was also joined to bend plates and can
be opened.
I've added a interesting doors (some Castle design as I remember),
interior were equipped with bed, small table, map and hat-holder -
now it's much more comfortable. Additional bit of realism are narrow
stairs to quarter deck - I don't know, how officers reach this deck
before.
Small sculpture on the back of the castle was made bigger, even
bigger than in BSB, because I remember rich decorations in this part
of old ships. I've moved there a hawk figure from the galeon. The
falcon holds in his nails a lantern, additional two big lanters are
mounted on the sides of the quarter deck (I used a special elements
to hold the palm leafs, according to BSB).
Then, I've started to rebuilding the middle of the ship. I've decided
not to cover all lowest deck, just to made a shelfs along the boards,
as in BSB. I've joined them with longer floor of the stern room and
deck in front part of the ship - in result there is a flat space and
a big hole in the deck - it can be treated as a giant hatch. It's not
very realistic, but didn't look bad and makes operations with cannons
easier. I've build a fences along the boards.
Next thing I've started work with was rebuilding, or maybe
scratchbuilding a bow castle. I've decided not to build it very high
(the ship is too small for that), I've just made it longer. In one of
the holes between board and mast there is a bo'man store with
little doors (the one from BSB). The second hole is a room for 1st
officer with half of doors (the one from BSB's stern castle).
I've left intact a little hole in the front of the ship, because my
crew had no space for stuff and weapon.
CC has only two cannons, so I've added another two - shooting from
them is now a little harder, than before, but it looks more
realistic. I've added some accesories in free spaces - small,
provisoric kitchen, rescue "bowl" (it's a joke, I can forget about real
rescue boat), additional handles for weapon, and places to sleep for
crew.
I've modified also a keel and galeon. Keel is now longer, not so
narrow than before and makes a more "solid" impression (but
I haven't change the construcion of bowsprit and this characteristic
platform under it). The sculpture of falcon was replaced by medieval
knight, weared black, which is a alegory of new name of the ship -
"Black Hawk".
I also made some changes in masts, sails and ropes. The mainmast was
lifted on three bricks, sternmast was moved closer to the middle of
the ship. Originally mainmast have only one set of ropes, strangly
mounted in the middle, like it have to be used only as a rope ladder
to the crows nest. It looks stupid and completely not realistic, so
I've added one more set of ropes and mount both of them on the sides
of the hull.
Sternmast is much shorter than the mainmast, so I've left a thin pole
as a "bramsteng" (it's a Polish name, I don't know English, but maybe
it's similar, as most of Polish sea vocabulary is taken directly from
English). This pole have no any holes, so "stag" (another Polish word
- it's a rope from top of the bowsprit to the top of the last mast)
can't go there, goes instead to the "bom" (Arrr...;). Adding
a "gafel" and making "bom" longer makes better impression (if you can
take that "stag" goes by the sternmast).
I haven't changed a number of sails (it's simple - I just don't have
more sails:), so there is only two sails on mainmast. On bowsprit
there is only a jib.
The last change I've made was a replacing admiral's flag by the
pirate's one, adding more weapon-holders, more lanterns, signs and
decorations. Of course, necessary was replacing whole crew. Instead
of governor Broadside there's now capt'n Roger and pirates from 6251,
6257, 6235 and 6260 sets. Now, there's 8 members of the crew, instead
of original 4.
The ship looks now very attractive, but I still think about making
him better.
I should make ship longer by adding one, two, or even three center
sections. It makes a more space for another pair of cannons and to
make rooms longer. After adding three center sections the ship
becomes so long, that it's good idea to lift stern castle - maybe
even two condignations? To the lower one I could move the 1st
officer's room and a mess.
An important change is to add a true-to-original sternmast, as height
as mainmast. As a "bezan" (triangle sail mounted on the "gafel" type
masts) I could use a sail from 6267 set (or 6273, if I've left other
sails in blue-white stripes).
Good idea I think is to add another jib, a compass (from newer ships)
and maybe a rescue boat?

I'll be happy about your comments and suggestions about my model.

Bye

--
Shaggie/Da Tresse
(ERR21: Too much C2H5OH)