 People / 3954
3953  |  3955
Subject:
Autist and a Writer - BIONICLE means everything to 11 year old Jesper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 20:56:29 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I found this inspirational article some time ago, and am reprinting it here with permission. Enjoy.

-Tim

Autist and a writer
BIONICLE means everything to 11 year old Jesper

Jesper Lau Thomsen, a Danish 11 year old boy, is crazy about BIONICLE. He has always loved LEGO toys but ever since BIONICLE was launched, Jesper has spent almost all of his free time playing with it.

Jesper, who lives in the city Århus, is an autist. His mother Lisbeth Guldager says BIONICLE means everything to the boy. Says she: “I can not think of anything to replace it. It is very constructive. Jesper talks a lot and has a lot of imagination and he expresses it through the stories he tells us about BIONICLE.”

When younger unfortunately Jesper was a boy who often hit other people or destroyed things, but now he uses his energy by searching through his large toy boxes, looking for the right parts to build new, creative figures.

Says Lisbeth Guldager: “We have often said thanks to LEGO. Jesper has followed BIONICLE right from the beginning and it is the best toy ever. There are endless possibilities of constructing and combining the colors. I always tell Jesper to first build the figure as it is, but afterwards he uses the parts to build small and bigger figures.”

Jesper adds: “I play with them almost all the time, together with my best friend, Tim. We build them in many ways and we play the good versus the bad.”

Jesper has now made a book, telling about how the good and the evil BIONICLE figures fight an intense battle – “The Battle about The Magic Tree.” The book is “published” in an exclusive edition of three copies and Jesper made it while at school.

“Some of the adults at school helped me but I made everything up myself. I thought of the story along the road and the adults helped writing it,” Jesper says. He admits that his imagination is “somewhat more than just a usual one.”

The book has 46 pages and is illustrated with pictures of BIONICLE figures, photographed outside Jesper’s school. It took him about a year to make the book which means that there is snow on some of the pictures – and no snow on others. It doesn’t matter too much, Jesper thinks – it just emphasizes the change of story line.

“In cartoons very often it gets dark when the evils attack and I have made it up, that this is what happens in my story,” he says.

Jesper’s next project will be a BIONICLE movie: “It will either be a new story or I will make this one into a movie. We are going to make it with LEGO Studios which my school bought, but I guess it will take around three years before it is finished.”

By Pernille Stanbury, LEGO Company, Corporate Communications
Printed with permission