 People / 3117
Re: What's going on in the LEGO world?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:29:26 GMT

Well, I had a chance to take and upload some pictures:

First, here was the intended schedule:

2002/03/25 - driver arrives at 1 PM to scout things out
2002/03/26 - driver and two helpers pack and load
2002/03/27 - I fly out to Portland
2002/04/01 - first possible day of delivery
2002/04/08 - last possible day of delivery

The estimate was 6000 pounds plus the car.

The one's before the emply apartment pictures are the packing pictures.
These were taken Monday night after the driver and I had packed for many
hours. The driver left at like 10 and I continued packing (actually most
of the night). These were taken after I sort of finished for the night
(the big box in the lower left in the first picture is the "wardrobe"
box which I had packed all of my pirate ships and a bunch of sets into).

Tuesday at about 6 PM, one of the helpers left. At about 9:30 the other
helper and the driver left.

Wednesday about 9 AM I called and re-booked my flight to 4 PM. About 2
PM I left with everything out of the apartment and accounted for, but
not quite all loaded (the driver said it was another hour or so).

Friday the 5th, the driver let me know he hoped to deliver the 8th.

The empty room pictures were taken the night of the 7th. You can see I
had already purchased some additional LEGO.

Monday the 8th, the driver and one helper arrived to unload. Almost all
of the LEGO got put in the garage (along with some other stuff). Picture
17 was taken when they were done unloading. The driver and helper left
around 3 PM.

I spent the rest of the 8th trying to get enough unpacked to be able to
start to live. I also took the 9th off to do more unpacking.

The unpacking pictures were taken last night (the 17th) just before
heading over to Ben Fleskes's house for a PNLTC gathering. The stack of
boxes with paper sticking out are filled with packing materials (at
first, when I was unpacking the kitchen, I would empty a box, and
another box was filled with the paper, I found that if I stepped into
the box and jumped up and down a bit, I could get two boxes worth of
paper into one).

In picture 19, the lower left stuff is mostly non-LEGO (there are one or
two boxes of LEGO in there). Behind the boxes of packing paper are 2 or
3 more "wardrobe" boxes full of LEGO. There are about 6-10 wardrobe
boxes which still need to be unpacked.

The stack of boxes up along the wall near the garage door are empty. I
plan to move some of the unopened sets into them for storage.

So, you can get a feel for what a 500k piece collection looks like, and
why some folks are reducing their collection.

Frank