 People / 1173
Re: NYCLUG, Anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.people, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 06:49:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Karius writes:
In lugnet.announce, Sid Mark Dinsay writes:
There's GOTTA be some interest in starting up a NYCLUG.  Let me know if
you're interested.  (Oh yes, we'd pronounce it NYE-Klug.  What the heck,
right?)

Such a group already exists and it's called GardenSLUG, covering NJ, NY, and
PA. Another group, NELUG, has Boston covered and another, WAMALUG takes care
of Baltimore.  See http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/ for more about these
groups.

IMHO, overlap of groups/territory is a Very Good Thing.  For example, even
though NELUG officially includes NT state, it's really mostly today a Greater
Boston Area group, for most practical purposes.  (Might change in the future,
who knows, but most of the NELUG get-togethers that I'm aware of have taken
place in the Boston area.)

If I lived in, say, Manhattan and I knew there were lots of other NYC LEGO
folks around, I sure would *not* want to *have* to join a neighboring group
that I could attend only once in a long while.  I would much rather join a
smaller, more localized group and have weekly or biweekly get-togethers.

Sid, my advice to you is to join GardenSLUG and NELUG but *also* to get
together with other NYC folks and start a NYCLUG.  I know of fifty AFOL's in
NY state, about 15 of which live in the various boroughs of NYC.  So there
are plenty of people -- you just have to find them.

--Todd

p.s.  This is a great example of a thread that doesn't belong in .general --
OK for a first post, but the discussion is really most appropriate in .org.us
or .loc.us.ny.ny (which I'm setting the followups to on my post).  :-)