 Parts / Modification / 333
Re: Which glue?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:41:16 GMT

In lugnet.parts.mod, Mathew Clayson wrote:

I still swear by Goop.

I saw that today while shopping the adhesives section of Lowe's, but didn't end
up getting it (I may yet, depending on how tests go). Curiously when I mention
the temperature requirement, the helpful salesperson almost laughed out loud
:-). After a lot of reading, I was unable to find an epoxy that listed
temperatures anything like as low as I'm worried about, so I went with a small
tube of silicone sealant (as those all listed maximum temperatures, but not
minimums), and LocTite "Stik 'n Seal Ultra", which remarkably enough claims an
operational temperature range down to -50° C explicitly (!). I'm trying the
LocTite first (it's clamped right now) to see what happens... but at least it
didn't dissolve the ABS.

But I have to ask what the hec is this for?

For now, let's just say I'm thinking of taking LEGO into a whole new range of
environments. Actually, I've had good luck playing with robots in snow and water
lately, so you never know.

--
Brian Davis