Subject:
Welcome to SMART
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:50:14 GMT

Welcome to SMART, the "Seattle Mindstorms And Robotic Techies".  We'll be
having our first meeting on January 28th, 2001, (a Sunday) at the Bellevue
Public Library, Room 3, from 2-5pm.

Anyone interested in building LEGO robots is invited to attend.  Use this
group for discussion, suggestions, and so on.

SMART was formed on December 12, 2000.  See the announcement at
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=888 if you are interested.

Copied from that post, just for reference, here is the basic charter of the
group:

We are a group of LEGO Mindstorms and LEGO Technic enthusiasts in the
Seattle Eastside area.  We will maintain a mailing list and have
semi-regular meetings (probably every other month) somewhere on the
Eastside.  Meetings will provide an opportunity for members to show off
their Lego creations to other enthusiasts, ask questions on programming and
construction, and will focus around a small, low pressure Lego Mindstorms
challenge.

The main reason for these challenges or competitions is to bring a focus to
the meetings.  Anyone may suggest an event to attempt for the next meeting.
(We'll try to be as fair as possible, and let everyone have a chance to do
so.)  Most of the attendees will have had a chance to at least think about
how to build a robot for the event, and hopefully a number of them will have
attempted to design and build a robot to compete.  Besides being fun, this
will give everyone something specific to discuss.  Note that there is no
requirement, and indeed no pressure whatever to complete a robot.  It's just
for fun, and a meeting focal point.  One more practical use for these mini
challenges may be used to try out certain ideas for bigger competitions like
those hosted by Workshop 3D.

Our intention is to remain friendly, and informal.

The first mini-challenge is to build a robot that will follow the left edge
of a (minimum 6") wide black line.  No turn will be greater than 90 degrees.
Don't worry about having a super refined or super fast robot.  Remember this
is to learn, and for discussion.  Bring any other robots you wish to show as
well.

We hope that if you are in the area, and interested in LEGO robots and
Mindstorms, that you'll be able to make it.

If you plan to attend, please send either myself or Gus Jansson
(GJansson@aol.com) an email, or post here, so that we can gauge how many
will attend, and whether we need a bigger room!  Thanks.

--
  David Schilling