Re: Greenburg Show Dec 2nd & 3rd in Wilmington MA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 19:06:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
As many of you know the Greenberg folks have placed an open invitation for
LEGO groups to do Train layouts at their shows.

Count me in!  For awhile now I've been trying to find an excuse to do more
with my train set.

I could supply a train and the track and some scenery so the biggest LEGO
needs will be for some modern scenery and also for some Mindstorm controled
mechanisms for the train.  Thinks like a crossing gate or a trolly system or
something much more complicated.  With our group I think the Mindstorm control
area is where we could really shine.

I can also supply some track and scenery.  I just have a basic oval at
present, but I'm planning to acquire some more track in the very near future.
I also have a lot of road signs.

I would also like to volunteer to build some of the more "ordinary" scenery to
control with an RCX.  (No flames or running minifigs...)  I like the idea of
making moving gates with flashing lights for a railroad crossing.  I also saw
plans online for a motorized switch-house that should be relatively easy to
build, in case we want to try to do a larger rail layout that includes
switches and crossings.  In WhistleStop, (my own personal excuse for a train
layout) I've had a lot of fun modeling very simple objects, like traffic
signals, that can add a lot of detail to a scene.

I think in general that Railroad will be an easier theme to work with in terms
of getting a lot of people involved in doing NELUG displays.  As long as we've
got a train and some track as a starting point, people can contribute train
cars, buildings, vehicles, minifigs, vegetation, scenery, robotics, etc.  I
think it will appeal to a much wider group, because it isn't as exclusive (no
offense intended) as some of the themes that we've used in the past, like Star
Wars or Castle.

I'd also like to help acquire materials and build tables when the time comes.
These will be useful items for us to have if we do more displays in any theme.