Re: Greenburg Show Dec 2nd & 3rd in Wilmington MA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 02:39:43 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
I have wanted to talk about this at a more detailed level for a while now but
until our next meeting or the BBQ, whichever comes first, I thought I would
give everyone something to think about.

As many of you know the Greenberg folks have placed an open invitation for • LEGO
groups to do Train layouts at their shows.  I know I am interested and it
talking with a few other members I think some others are interested as well.
Fortunately if we want to do this we have some time to get ready but we still
need to make a commitment one way or the other relatively quickly.

It is pretty much open as far as how big a setup we want to do.  I think we
should think modestly but I also don't want to just to one 3x6 table.  In
looking at the PNLTC website http://www.pnltc.org/ they have a ton of
information about doing shows like this.  They also have plans for a modular
table system that is at least affordable although it is an added cost.

I think if we tried for a 10 foot by 10 foot layout that was about 2 1/2 feet
wide with a opening for a control station in the middle and a single loop
of track that we could handle it.  That would require building 6 of the PNLTC
modules and having skirts for the table (black sheet stapled to the front).
That would be our primary expense.

I could supply a train and the track and some scenery so the biggest LEGO • needs
will be for some modern scenery and also for some Mindstorm controled
mechanisms for the train.  Thinks like a crossing gate or a trolly system or
something much more complicated.  With our group I think the Mindstorm control
area is where we could really shine.

There is wording in the contract about an honorarium if we have a Layout
although it does not say what that would be.  There are other ways to
participate however and if we think a layout is to ambitious we can do
something else.  In the personal letter I recieved this was the most important
of the paragraphs.

--------------------------
" There are many different avenues in which your Club may wish to participate.
If you have a modular layout we will offer space to display your trains.  We
also offer tables, at no cost to promote your group.  You can use these tables
to display memorabilia, promote membership, or to increase awareness.  We also
encourage members to offer workshops on a number of related topics or to lead • a
discussion in a particular area of expertise.  We will offer you an honorarium
if you are able to bring your layout to the show."
--------------------------

That should give you a basic idea about what it is we can try and do for the
show.  If we decide to do the layout we will have to talk about how and when • we
will assemble the tables.  My hope is that the honorarium will cover some of
the costs of the tables and if we like this enough to do other shows we will
eventually cover all our table costs and have a little money for the group to
either expand the layout or do something else for the group.

Again if you have any ideas or would like to express your interest in this
group project please post here and we can talk about this some more at a
meeting in the near future.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

You can count me in. Like I said before, I am not much of a train nut, but
could come up with a few buildings. I think we should get together at someones
house, preferably someone with a basement, and put something together. We
should be able to come up with a few folding tables, and get a final
determination of the size we will need. We could also maybe consider a display
in the window of The Construction Site, as sort of a dry run, sometime in the
fall, say end of October? (Actually, this is for my own selfish reasons, since
seeing the last two displays there, I have been aching to do a Town set up.)

Tom D