Subject:
MichLUG June 2 SciFi 'Contraption' convention preparations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 00:52:50 GMT

Well, howdy folks!  I presume that probably Scott will post minutes on the
June 2nd meeting since I missed the first 2 hours.  But, I'd like to
summarize my take on who will do what for the Contraption SciFi convention
display.

(Initial plan only):
1) MOC display
   a) Large stand-alone MOCs/dioramma display
      i)  Trev, Peter, Jason, Rick (gungans) for sure will have stuff.
          Trev's destroyer, frigate, food processor are ready to show.
          Peter's blacktron battleship hopefully will be ready for the show.
          Jason's SW dioramma may be incorporated in the colony.
          Rick's Gungan dioramma may be incorporated in the colony.
      ii) Everyone is encouraged to bring large space MOCs if they want.
   b) Small to medium stand-alone MOCs display
      i)  Free-for-all in displaying smaller MOCs that are not in colony.

2) Colony display (more below)
3) official TLG set display with small examples from each theme: (Scott)
4) MLCAD picture board.  Both Scott and Rick have pictures, and Rick was
looking at prices for bristol board and material if I'm not mistaken.  But,
we would want this to look good, so if it is a problem then it is probably
better to make some good binders with MLCAD pictures in them rather than a
cheesy looking back drop display.  Everyone's oplinion is appriciated on
this one.  The hotel may have a problem with us putting stuff on the walls,
so perhaps nicely bound picture portfolios (for the audience to individually
parouse at leisure) with maybe a single page pamphlet (photocopied) to hand
out would be good here, and way cheaper.

The colony:

The colony is a futuristic town setting in which trains are replaced with
monorail, buildings have a futuristic or prefab look (depending on your
desired building style, and we have an integrated spaceport incorporated
into the colony display much in the same was as Chris's airport is a major
element of the GATS display.  The major difference between GATS and the
Contraption colony display is expected size.  Contraption's space is much
less, and we will have stand alone displays, so our buildings need to be
smaller on average as opposed to Chris's very big (and very realistic) GATS
airport setting.  So, buildings should range in size between one or two
32x32 plates (approx) to 1 large grey baseplate.  Rick's hangar is 2 large
grey base plates, and can be used for both GATS and the colony display.

The commited colony elements so far are:

1. Military hangar: Rick (complete)
   2 large grey plate footprint.
2. Spaceport command: Scott (pending)
   1 or 2 32x32 plate footprint.
3. Colonial command (like ST Federation of Planets): Amy (pending)
   1 large grey plate footprint.
4. Residential apartments, stripmalls, neat house on water: Tony (complete)
   6+ 32x32 plate footprint.
5. Military barracks and messhall: Trev (complete)
   1 32x32 plate footprint.
6. Fusion reactor power plant/cooling tower: Trev (complete)
   1 32x32 plate footprint.
7. Communications dish tower: Trev (complete)
   1 32x32 plate footprint.
8. Elevated landing pad/tower: Jason (complete)
   2 32x32 plate footprint.
9. 32x32 Ground level landing pads: Trev, Scott
10. 32x32 Roadplates (grey or green): Trev (grey), Scott (both)
11. Hydroponics bays:
    Trev (2 half-domes), Scott (has qtr domes to do 2 half domes)
    4 32x32 baseplate footprint if all four half-domes are made.
12. Large greenhouse with trees, plants: Amy (pending)
    Footprint undetermined.
13. Steel Minimill: Trev (in progress)
    1 32x32 plate foot print, may double depending on parts.
14. Ore mine: Rick (pending)
    Footprint undetermined.
15. Field hospital: Rick (complete)
    1 32x32 plate (or less) footprint.
16. Individual residences: Rick (pending)
    Footprint for each undetermined.
17. Monorail: Chris (setup when we get there)
    Expect at least 2 32x32 baseplates for some form of control tower, etc.
18. Fuel tanks: Scott (pending)
    2 32x32 baseplate footprint.
19. Water reclamation/waste processing facility: Scott (pending)
    2-3 32x32 baseplate footprint.

Additional items to consider:
20. Trev will bring at least one, maybe two freighters for the colony.
21. Jason will have possibly 2 imperial shuttles to use if the landing tower
is included in the colony layout.
22. Scott will have some colony defence vehicles.
23. Rick is bringing soldiers and some SW techies for sure.
24. Scott will probably bring his bin of Futuron figures.
25. Trev's SW techies are all in his destroyer but can be used if necessary.
27. Trev has several good condition yellow, black, red and a couple blue
classic spacefigs.
28. People are encouraged to bring whatever vehicle and minifig they think
would go well in a space colony/spaceport/futuristic town display.  (Jason,
things like forklifts would be very useful!)
29. Additional manufacturing buildings are encouraged.  Trev will attempt a
small refinery (1 32x32 baseplate footprint) station.
30. SPECIAL PURPOSE vehicles like hovering speeders, ambulance vessels,
service and repair vehicles,  generic (same style and look) shuttles, etc
are encouraged.
31. Farmland (32x32 green plates with crops) - a couple would be good.
32. Forest (2 or 3 gree 32x32 plates loaded with trees) to be shown to one
side.  Need trees from the GATS tree collection - enough to fill two or
three 32x32 plates.
33. Solar panels, or wind generators would be a nice touch.  Perhaps a small
hill to put them on.
34. Small lake possibly with a river feeding to it through the forest.  Fish
farm?

As it stands, what I have listed above for the colony could be as many as
50-60 32x32 baseplates worth (about 3 big tables worth), and everything for
the remaining stuff will probably take up about 3 tables at least.  So
that's at least 6 tables requred.  If the available space is not enough,
then we can a) condense the buildings closer together which is a neat idea
or b) leave some out of the display.  The monorail may not need it's own
plates, and the SW landing tower may be set up as a separate dioramma
depending on what Jason wants to do when we get there.

Everything that we plan is open for change since we most likely will not
know what the room layout will be or the number of tables we will have until
the first day of the show.  That being said, we all agreed to treat the show
in the same manner as the past Jan.2001 GATS and bring more than what is
required and we will pick and choose what to display when we get there.

Questions, please email me.

Best!

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.
Visit the Astro Lift Company home page at:
http://members.home.net/tpruden3/