Subject:
MichLUG June 2nd meeting Wrapup - Scott' Report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.announce
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 19:43:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

To All,

Well, we had a grand time in Lansing, Michigan, at our planning meeting to
start off the summer season. A big thanks to go to Tony's huge church, which
kindly let us meet there, even though a wedding was going on at the time. : )

Attendants:
Scott (only an hour late, forgot the time difference!)
Amy Hughes
Chris Leach
Jason Spears & Fiancee (Thanks again for the food trip!)
Tony Hedglen
Rick Hallman
Steve R.
Trevor Pruden

This meeting was primarily to organize our three events coming up this
summer, most notably Contraption, GATS, and the non-sanctioned event. Most
peope brought a few works in progress, stupid me I forgot my camera. : ( If
any of you have links to your creations, feel free to post them here, so
people can see who weren't there!

Jason Spears: Go-Cart Factory

Jason brought along a huge Go-Cart production facility, complete with office
area, conference rooms, offices, factory floor, molding machines for tires,
an assembly line, forklifrts, two truck loading docks, etc. very impressive,
great job Jason!

Jason also brought his really awesome Imperial landing pad for Imperial
Shuttles. It is really m=nice, there is a link on MichLUG's page for that.

Steve R.

Our own Mr. 8 wide came, and brought some creations. His water tower was
stunning, as well as his 8 wide steam / coal train (I don't know what model
it was, it is huge) a John Deere riding lawnmower, 2 very imprerssive Semi
trucks complete with trailers, and a few space creations, I think.

Tony Hedglen

Tony brought three impressive buildings, one being a three story black
house, complete with a Japenese style garden, and a stream going into a
river. He also brought some office buildings, which were very sharp.

Scott S.

I brought my in progress Shell Station, I have the car wash and most of the
shop and canopy fuel areas done, I got some great building tips from Jason,
and some direction on what to do next. It measures 4 large gray baseplates
so far.

Here is a link:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/Creations/Shell-Station/shell-station-index.htm

I also brought a MISB MCM that I bought recently, so people can see it. It
will be opened son! : )

I brought some picture of my models I rendered using POV-RAY and MLCad.

Rick Hallman:

Rick brought his ship hanger in, and it was great! He did a really good job
of getting the large gray baseplates there for a roof, and also the overlook
look. He also brought his awesome creation for the non violent space
creation contest, I forgot the name again.

here is some information we discussed for the upcoming events:

GATS:

Steve R. brought some items for the GATS display we are considering using,
basically it is plexiglass with some clamps and some wood that we can mount
on the sides of it, I think the plexiglass is a foot high, so it will be
good enough to prevent trains flying over the edge, and to keep childrens
hands away. We decided to use the rest of the funds we got last year to buy
the products to make tese, any additional costs we will contribute to Steve,
he voluntereed to help build it. Thanks Steve! Any questions can be directed
to Chris, he will be helping him, or Steve.

We discussed the layout, and some items we will be using. We will be buying
shims to make the tables even, so we won't have faults around the display.
We will also be changing the interior a bit, for more room. We will not be
using ropes and the like.

Chris has a list of people that wil be coming to the show, please e-mail him
at (cleach@mediaone.net) if you are planning on attending. We are making a
list of what people will bring, and when you will be there. We want as many
peole as possible to at the setup, that is the biggest problem.

If you are bringing anything, we definately want you to 1) make a detailed
list of what you are bringing, so we know what is what, and what is whose.
If you have anything that can be labeled, such as models, roadplates, etc.
please mark them, either with a sticker or initials, or something like that.
We had a few minor problems with that at last show. Train track, monorail,
just make a count.

I think we will fill up our display again, we have some more new stuff
coming in. If you want to contribute something, and can't be there, feel
free to e-mail me (ssanburn@skyenet.net) or Chris (cleach@mediaone.net) we
will arrange shipping or whatever.

Larry P. volunteered some floor space for people sleeping nearby for the
event, if we need to, Tony Hedglen said we can stay there as well, so I
think we will be fine in terms of arrangements.

I can't think of anything else for GATS, so here goes other events:

Contraption:

Trevor pretty much outlined what we are thinking (Thanks Trevor!), but it is
a little in the details area that we are concerned with. Amy is attempting
to contact them more. If worse comes to worse, we will leave, but I think we
can arrange something there. I think most people will be driving back and
forth to this, I don't know if anyone needs to sleep somewhere, just post
here if you are planning on attending or submitting models, or e-mail Trevor
(trevor_pruden@hotmail.com)

Non Sanctioned Event:

We have TONS of space here, it is around 150ftx150ft at least, so there
really is not any constraint. We are planning on taking what we have for
bothj Contraption and GATS there, so it should be pretty easy to do. We will
have more details soon.

I had a wonderful time, it was great seeing everyone again, it was a LONG
day for me, I talked to tony a little while after the meeting wrapped up,
and i did not get home until 11:30PM Indiana time (12:30AM for people in
Michigan).

We had a really good time, we had a few food runs, some minor problems
finding the church, and a weird security guy, and a wedding, so it iwas a
typical MichLUG meeting! We will be having a few more meetings before GATS
and Contraption, so stay here for details.

If I missed anything, or you want to add stuff, feel free to, I am still
trying to wake up! : )

Scott S.
--
MichLUG Member, www.michlug.org