 Organizations / GLUG / 65
64  |  66
Subject:
Gencon At Indy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug, lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:40:52 GMT

The current slate a games at Gencon include several two-hour
BrikWars demos, two six-hour BrikWars games, two Evil Stevies Pirate
Game, two Pirate Wars games, a Mechaton game, maybe a robotics
display, a combat comparision game. A long list am I sure, but we
have several GM's. Frank Filz, Chris Weeks, James Brown, Larry
Pieniazek, and others.

I have plenty of squads and materials for BrikWars. The BrikWars
scenarios will be compact with squads consisting of 5 troopers, a
medic, a pilot and vehicle, a robot, and a hero. My goal is to
provide a scenario in which the players can plan tactics, move
troops, and play more than two turns.

The demos will be even smaller, one hero and three troopers, for
probably four to six players. Don't be alarmed by the size of the
forces. Considering the rules need to be taught and brainwashing
attempted, two hours and small squad combat will make for a tight
schedule.

My first pre-Gencon attempt last week was a failure at best. The
approaching weekend will involve another torture session to see if
this mix of troops will yield a viable six-hour game. Teaching rules
and long turn sequences caused the previous game to go beyond the
six hour limit with no discernable resolution in combat. I was so
disheartened I didn't even take pictures. My test subjects play
Warhammer regulary and volunteered to be my guinea pigs, mwah ha ha
ha......Unfortunately, I was not laughing by the end of it.

A Q&A session followed, mainly my questions and their answers. Three
main things came out of this and I will address each in turn.
1)I need a small compact set of essential rules that will fit on one
sheet of paper. Easy for the players to reference and should also
include troop stats. This would eliminate elemental questions
like "How far can I move through rough terrain?"
2)Limit the number of players. Turn sequences are too long with more
than a four players.
3)Limit the number of troops on the playing field so turn sequences
will procede faster than a crawl.
Number two and three are inter-related and I am attempting to find
the right balance.

My goal is to get players involved in Lego gaming and raise the
level of awareness of the possibilities of gaming with the brick.
This will not be the only convention where brick events will be
held. I will run events at Egyptian Campaign, Winter War (I hope),
Chaos Con, and others as time and days off permit.

I know there are others who use Lego in their gaming sessions,
especially Star Wars roleplayers. I just wish more people would de-
lurk and add their experiences to the mix.

So, if anyone can come to Gencon and help, I would not turn you away.