 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13504
13503  |  13505
Subject:
rtl 18 summary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:35:29 GMT

Well, Saturday was a fun time. I met some new people, and saw some really great
robots. It never ceases to amaze me how creative people get with different
stacking mechanisms. Jeff VW's "super conveyor" was awesome. Too bad the
drivetrain of the robot didn't work. I'll bet it would have eaten a lot of
blocks. Rob A's mechanism was very neat to watch, and quite effective. Ed's
machine was really solid and reliable. I loved seeing Iain's duck assembler in
person, what a cool robot!

The rounds were fun to watch, especially because we let people give the robots a
helping hand when they were stuck. My favourite memory from the rounds was when
Rob A's robot deployed a nice stack of 6 or so blocks, and then Andrew's robot
promptly knocked it over, ate the blocks, and then re-stacked them a couple
seconds later! I wish we had video footage of that. I also liked my last run
with Janey's son. His robot got its plastic tray stuck under my robot, and at
the end of the match my robot deployed a stack right on the tray. Andy's robot
then came to life and knocked my stack over! I'm glad my robot behaved itself.
After three failed attempts at rtl 6, rtl 7, and rtl 12, I finally built a
blockstacking robot that worked.

Well, I think that's it for me for a while.

Rob