 Organizations / Canada / 135
Re: LEGO in Canada (From Samsonite to TLG) 1962-94.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2015 06:21:27 GMT

Canadian LEGO sets from 1962 until circa 1990 would be worth more than
comparable sets sold in other markets if they were more well known.

Here's an example.... the London Bus Set... known as 760 London Bus in the USA,
and 384 London Bus in Canada and Europe/Australia.  However... the boxes of
Europe/Australia are quite different, and not as rare as those bilingual boxes
from Canada (middle)...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/11409334173/sizes/l

Here's the famous Yellow Castle Set.. 375/6075.  It was sold as 6075 in the USA,
and as 375 in Europe/Australia and Canada.  But the Canadian 375 version (not
shown here) would again have different packaging with English/French writing,
along with a parts count (like USA sets have).  Any Canadian 375 set would
definitely be more valuable than a European or USA set...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/11409154283/sizes/l

One of the more interesting sets was the 858 Auto Engine early Technic Set.  It
was introduced in 1980 in the USA under the 8858 number, and in Canada and
Australia under the 858 number... but never introduced in Europe.  The Canadian
version of this set is very rare (strangely enough it came with the USA 8858
instructions).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/16115540681/sizes/o/

Also Canada liked to do things differently than other countries... such as not
number multipacks.... here are 2 examples... not found elsewhere...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/11821345774/sizes/l

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/11765928634/sizes/l

And then there are other things unique to Canada, such as this, the very first
Space Poster... from 1979.... #001...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/12646315265/sizes/l

And then there a set that has yet to ever be found... the 750 Educational Set
(also sold in the USA) of 1963-66... here's a promotional Canadian flyer for
this still unknown set (no examples exist in the Billund Vault)... but one of
you lucky Canadians is going to find one of these in some dusty attic
somewhere.... the only Canadian wooden box set...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/8232132292/sizes/l

Or find rare Canadian versions of these USA Samsonite sets of the late 1960s....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/15847465427/sizes/l

And then there's these rare beauties from the 1960s... I call this "Poetry in
LEGO"... the 3 largest sizes are from Canada, the 2 smaller ones from Britain...
spare parts pack boxes with a picture of the contents on the side of the
boxes....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/istokg/9114197622/sizes/l

Or these Canadian spare parts packs, sold in this type of box or with these set
numbers nowhere else... with the 442 Decorator Set being the only known source
of the very valuable Canadian Maple Leaf wavy (non-stickered) flag (introduced
in 1968, only 3 years after the Maple Leaf flag replaced the red Dominion
Flag)...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/istokg/5245514305/sizes/l

What really piqued my interest in Canadian sets and their value among LEGO sets
was an event that happened about 5 years ago.  I saw the USA version of the
1963-66 Samsonite LEGO "Double Wheel Toy" locomotive set... sell for $18 as a
tall box set on USA Ebay...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/16491935880/sizes/l

Then a short time later I saw the Canadian version of the 610 set, which comes
in a long box instead of a tall one... go up for auction on USA Ebay... and it
sold for $343!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82930629@N08/16491921310/sizes/o/

So there is definitely a reason for Canadian sets to be identified, since they
are probably only 1/10 as common as the same USA sets!

The history of LEGO in Canada is unique, and needs to be told.... so I'm trying
my hardest to do so.

But if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. :)  Thank you!!

Cheers,
Gary Istok