 Organizations / 697

Re: 1 Question: assurances & limitations [Re: LEGOFan.net - central community... ]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:04:28 GMT

In lugnet.org, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
In lugnet.general, Scott Arthur wrote:

Jake can you clarify this? I expect ‘support’ and use of the word “lego” in
the url has been given subject to assurances or limitations with regard the
content of the site.

Actually not.  What we _have_ discussed is to make it possible for parents to
decide that some classes of content is unsuitable for their children, and for
users of the site to decide some age limits for access to content/discussion
groups they create.  The implementation is not fixed yet, but I hope we will get
around to publish the current specification soon.

one of the points made by Brad Justus in the original WorldLUG discussion was
that kid-oriented information is mired in a morass of legal difficulties
particularly in Europe.  There are laws about what you can show them, what you
can ask them, what you can collect from them, cookies, etc.

Please, please, be sure that you are familiar with these issues or you run
serious legal risks.

-paul

Re: 1 Question: assurances & limitations [Re: LEGOFan.net - central community... ]
one of the points made by Brad Justus in the original WorldLUG discussion was
that kid-oriented information is mired in a morass of legal difficulties
particularly in Europe.  There are laws about what you can show them, what you
can ask them, what you can collect from them, cookies, etc.

Please, please, be sure that you are familiar with these issues or you run
serious legal risks.

To my understanding the laws that has to be obeyed are the ones in which the
server stands.

--
Best regards,
/Tobbe

Re: 1 Question: assurances & limitations
one of the points made by Brad Justus in the original
WorldLUG discussion was that kid-oriented information is
mired in a morass of legal difficulties particularly in
Europe.

I have a somewhat different view of things.  I would
rather block access to my server from the USA than having
to be responsible for its content according to laws in the
USA.

There are laws about what you can show them, what you can
ask them, what you can collect from them, cookies, etc.

Only sensible rules.  And they are basically the same for
children and grownups.

Please, please, be sure that you are familiar with these
issues or you run serious legal risks.

I am reasonably familiar with European privacy regulations.
And I do not find them problematic or difficult to comply
with.

The only real trouble is for organisations with servers
located both inside and outside the EU.  They are in general
_not_ allowed to transfer any user data from the servers
inside the EU to servers outside the EU (there are
exceptions to this rule though).

And don't worry.  We will do our best to follow all the
regulations of the country hosting the site, once we get
that far.

Play well,

Jacob
--
Sal Colibri (from Roger Leloup's "Yoko Tsuno"):
          http://jacob.sparre.dk/LEGO/Transport/Fly/Colibri/