 Organizations / 686
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:12:17 GMT

In lugnet.build, Abe Friedman wrote:

What exactly does it mean to be "community owned"?

1) That the site software will be published under
    an Open Source license.

2) That the content (or at least as much as
    possible of it) will be available as a whole
    under an Open Source license.

3) Probably also that we will set up a formal
    organization with a democratically elected
    board and all that stuff (although I personally
    don't consider that important).

Is the site going to be like
a WIKI and anyone can change the content?

Parts of it may be.

Is there going to be a controlling body (say, for
example, of 9 people)

Couldn't we manage with fewer?  :-)

Making both the software and the content available
under an Open Source license means that even the
most totalitarian and undemocratic leadership will
have to make all the users happy.  Otherwise they
can just take all the interesting stuff and set up
a new site with a better leadership elsewhere.

Is every change going to be done by a community
vote?

In the traditional sense of the word, no.

But in another sense, yes.  If the leadership of
the site (please don't point at me for that job)
doesn't make the right decisions, somebody else
can without much work copy the whole site, minus
the wrong decisions.  And since the look, feel and
content of the copied site practically will be the
same, the leadership will be forced to do a good
job, if it really wants to keep the site popular.

The fact that this new website is going to be
"community owned" seems to come up in many of
the posts and I just don't understand what it
means.

It was also totally unclear from the announcement.
My only excuse is that I was sleeping while it was
sent out.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Play well,

Jacob