 Organizations / 642
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:28:09 GMT

[ XFUT lugnet.org ]

In lugnet.build, Matthew Miller wrote:
James Stacey <james@minifig.co.uk> wrote:
<playing devils advocate here>
I think the main issue is fantastic resource tho it is,
it is still a privately owned website. Despite the huge
fan involvement in the site it remains private property.
Todd is at total liberty to do as he wishes with the
site, which is correct, it is his creation, his baby. I
belive this is where the issue lies.

Yes.

So, to, I guess, play the *other* devil's advocate:

The devil seems to have plenty of legal representatives. :-)

I'm concerned about how this new thing will be *both* genuinely
community-run _and_ Official Lego Company Sponsored.

It _is_ also something that is hard to do.  And hopefully we
can find a better solution than just depending on a LEGO
sponsorship.  We have already started looking at other
sources of funding for the site.  Depending on money from a
single source is just as dangerous for such a project as it
is having the project completely owned by a closed group of
people.

I don't know the details -- and may even be completely
wrong, but it's my understanding that in the past,
there'd been some offers from Lego about making Lugnet
more "official", and Todd and Suz preferred to keep the
site an *independent* one. I see an inherent
contradiction in being simultaneously a totally
democratic site and a corporate mouthpiece. One of those
roles seems destined to not work out so well.

You don't have to be "a corporate mouthpiece", just because
you are sponsored by a company, but unless we find
additional/alternative sources of funding, there definitely
is a risk.

But maybe I'm just being pessimistic. The site is
currently showing a domain registrar advertisement, so its
completely vaporware. We'll have to wait and see how it
develops.

Yes.  It would - in a way - have been nicer to wait with the
announcement until we had something more solid to show, but
we would on the other hand like to be a bit open about the
project already at this stage.

I just hope that it isn't aimed at causing a split in the
Lego fan community -- I've been out of the scene for a
couple of years, and I come back, and the world is
falling apart -- old, basic colors are gone, racist
minifigs are in, and now this. :)

The world _is_ falling apart, but it is not the goal of
LEGOFan.net to speed the process up.

Play well,

Jacob
--