 Off-Topic / Geek / 2342
2341  |  2343
Subject:
Sample Mosaic Picture (was: How to maximize 90-piece bags?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 06:44:55 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:

Therefore, it makes more sense to distribute the 83 evenly across all colors
as follows:

  369 Black => 5 bags of 90 Black
  369 DGray => 5 bags of 90 DGray
  369 MGray => 5 bags of 90 MGray
  369 LGray => 5 bags of 90 LGray
  460 White => 6 bags of 90 White

I believe this is an optimal solution (proof left as an exercise to the
reader) with sufficient padding to ensure a total of 26 bags of 90 elements,
for a total of 2340 elements, whether the threshold is 88->90 or 89->91 or
90->92.  This gives approximately 10% padding on each color in the worst case
scenario of 90->92.

I have placed a 44x44 picture of myself in GIF format at

  http://public.surfree.com/werdna/asl_mosaic.gif

By what I can only describe as a remarkable coincidence (:-)),
this self-portrait appears to use exactly 369 pixels each of
Black, DGray, LGray and White, and 460 pixels of MGray (I do
not guarantee this is correct - it's too close to my bedtime
for me to check it thoroughly by hand).

   Andrew