 Off-Topic / Geek / *5205 (-40)
  Re: Wireless Power for LEGO Trains?

Interesting, but are magnetic fields harmless to everyone? How do pacemakers react to magnetic fields? Especially magnetic fields transmitting 60 watts of power? Also, what is the efficiency? How much power is pumped into the magnetic field to (...) (16 years ago, 22-Aug-08, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Wireless Power for LEGO Trains?

(...) Having a physics background, I just have to say... [sarcasm] Tesla would be, just, like... *so* surprised [/sarcasm]. I do wonder about the size of the receiver antenna and the transmitter, and near-field effects. Having worked a very little (...) (16 years ago, 23-Aug-08, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Wireless Power for LEGO Trains?

I know this is a long way off (think 2050) but, on Thursday, Intel revealed prototypes of a new wireless power supply. If this ever comes to market, think of the possibilities! Battery powered LEGO Trains that never need to be charged! NXT bricks (...) (16 years ago, 22-Aug-08, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Star Wars Exhibit at the Science Museum of Minnesota

Hi all! This past weekend Stacy and I attended the Star Wars "Where Science Meets Imagination" exhibit that is currently at the Science Museum of Minnesota. "Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination" is an exciting exhibition featuring more than (...) (16 years ago, 28-Jul-08, to lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: need (JavaScript) help, please!

(...) What you're doing there is setting the current document's URL to some value-- in this case some URL that looks like: (URL) that will open the new URL just fine, it'll just take the place of your current document. What you want is to open a new (...) (16 years ago, 4-May-08, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  need (JavaScript) help, please!

I'm trying to code a script, for inclusion into a webpage (HTML), that will enable me to spontaneously create a link to be opened as a new page. The format of the URL is as follows: (URL) two variables are the specific game server and the specific (...) (16 years ago, 4-May-08, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Tiniest LEGO USB memory stick?

(...) Here's a challenge- a LEGO USB drive that uses a mini-USB connection (found on BlackBerry and other smart phones). Adr. (16 years ago, 9-Mar-08, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Tiniest LEGO USB memory stick?

I could not resist the challenge to try to craft what may be the tiniest LEGO USB memory stick out there. Was perusing the CDN Tire sales ad and found the Gizmo Jr. USB memory keys were on sale.. I took a chance on one and discovered that it fits (...) (16 years ago, 9-Mar-08, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  LEGO USB Drive

I was perusing Engadget and found this LEGO USB drive. Question is - are they REAL LEGO bricks???? May be old news, but cool for the geeks in us nevertheless... (URL) (16 years ago, 2-Mar-08, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Help please!

(...) Thanks to Daniel B. for informing how to work around this problem. It's a comcast thing. Here's the workaround: Until DNS gets propagated properly, use the work around: edit c:\windows\system32\...\etc\hosts at the bottom add: 64.127.136.213 (...) (16 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Help please!

(...) There's something going on with the servers. It's not BL so much as it is NorthStar Systems. NSEric posted something about it yesterday, said it would take a while for the 'info to propagate through the network' or some such. So don't panic (...) (16 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Help please!

I haven't been able to pull up the Bricklink site since yesterday. I was able to while I was at work, now at home I can't. I first thought it was a BL problem, but I now think the problem is on my end. I tried in both IE and Firefox. I tried by (...) (16 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.market.brickshops, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Lego Purity

(...) That's just the basics ;) Tim (17 years ago, 30-Nov-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: HF110C 0-6-0T+T - 6 wide, powered and not really 0-6-0

(...) I've just tried from home and the pics load so it must be something at work. They take a lot longer tho. Tim (17 years ago, 29-Nov-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: HF110C 0-6-0T+T - 6 wide, powered and not really 0-6-0

I've just been reading (URL) and can see what you were doing. I'm not sure if I couldn't see the pics because it wasn't working or whether the site or port (8090) is blocked by my works firewall Tim (17 years ago, 28-Nov-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Lego Purity

(...) lol Is there a contest running (which I'm not aware of) that consist in quoting in Lugnet the most complex math. function? :-) Didier "7.83" Enjary (...) (17 years ago, 28-Sep-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: My fault

Hello there! I'm going to Seoul, Korea in a few months for business, and was wondering if any one knew 'ANYTHING' about Lego in Korea... Do major department stores stock newer sets...are the prices similar?!? Is there any Korean-Canadians out there (...) (17 years ago, 11-Jul-07, to lugnet.loc.kr, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Oh no, not that old Mac vs PC again!

(...) I have never said or even thought of Apple appearing to be dead. But my experience of Mac users is that they have had a very condescending attitude towards us Windows losers... I mean users. As you and I haven't discused this utterly boring (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Notetab

(...) LOL Notepad creates at least one registry entry too (and I don't want to know how many more!) ROSCO (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Thanks. I've already done that now. /Tore (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Apple *no longer appears to be a dead company* and now we are the snobs? (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Notetab

(...) Ok, I replaced Notepad with Notetab, and it is surprisingly fast and in all ways better than MS Notepad. All ways - except one: I also replaced one single .exe file with 129 files in 7 new folders, 3.37 Mb using 5,4 million bytes of disk (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) I've been dealing with this issue my whole Mac using life. I can understand your frustration but not your insistence that everyone comply with your OS. When I've done that in the past I get laughed at. The very existence of the LDraw for Mac (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) And Notepad.exe is 56 kb. Yes, I know I exaggerated. I think I had NoteTab or something very similar in my previous Windows installation due to the 64k limitation in Notepad. And before that, I hacked Notepad to suggest the .dat extension in (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) And, of cousre, the long filenames. :) I rushed together a DOS program called linefix.exe that takes care of the linefeeds while you uploaded the new version of the MPD. I never use MLCad even though it is installed. Browsing parts or models (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Last I checked, the Notetab light installation was 1.4M (yes it still fits on a floppy), and it loads in less than a second on my XP machine. I have been using it for at least 3 years, and I would also highly recommend it for Windows users. (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) Then I misinterpreted the talk of Mac and Linux earlier in this thread. (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

--snip-- (...) I realised I may have been barking at a joke for which I would and should apologise. It would seem I'm not so I make no apologies. (...) I use a Windows XP machine. Tim (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) They still can last I noticed. The earlier version of the file will and does work perfectly well in MLCad (I know this because I opened it in MLCad to make sure before submitting it to ldraw.org for the challenge). It would probably work in (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) You apologize or... you don't? You keep bantering on the far most popular system in the world. Not because it is the best, I am very well aware of that, but because the vast majority of computer users around the globe don't find the (...) (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) I expected that reply too from you. I once liked LDraw because anyone with almost any computer could use it. (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) PS. And I apologise if your tone in (URL) this post> was less serious than I read it. I really don't like the attitude that one should be forced to cater to every bit of rubbish programming by the folks at Redmond. (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: RACHAL Changeover

(...) That's fine by me. But please don't complain if a perfectly correct text file doesn't display right in Notepad or expect me to help cater to your use of bad software. Tim (17 years ago, 1-Apr-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: The LEGO Group Selects NetDevil to Create Branded MMOG

(...) Actually, if I remember correctly, Magic: The Gathering online lets you convert in-game cards into real physical cards (under drastic conditions, as far as I remember). Maybe it doesn't quite qualify as MMOG, though. (17 years ago, 27-Mar-07, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Picture of Jupiter from Saturn

(URL) me, that's tres cool. But here's what I have a problem with-- "Jupiter is imaged here from more than 11 times the distance between Earth and the Sun, or slightly farther than the average Earth-Saturn distance. As demonstrated by Pale Blue Orb, (...) (17 years ago, 23-Mar-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Smallest cube ever!?

(...) Although it would appear my terminology disagreed with my maths ;) So you are right in your reading and I am wrong in my concept but not my principal. So to keep the terminology the same just replace all 5s by 2s and the rest remains the same. (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Smallest cube ever!?

(...) It's still an integer number of plates (which was my condition). Tim (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Smallest cube ever!?

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Timothy Gould wrote: (snip) (...) I'm not so sure about that... If I understand correctly, the main issue here is to produce a flat square surface with a non-integer number of studs as side, right? Because that is certainly (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: Any WordPress gurus out there?

"Ross Crawford" <ross.{mylastname}@gmail.com> wrote in message news:JDw5Gp.LJ6@lugnet.com... (...) Thanks for the tip - turning on the Askimet plugin seems to have solved the problem. Mike (17 years ago, 26-Feb-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Any WordPress gurus out there?

(...) Hi Mike, From what I understand, that setting will not affect spambots. I think the only way to reduce the spam comments (especially pingback & trackback) is to activate the Askimet plugin (comes with recent WP) and possibly also install a (...) (17 years ago, 23-Feb-07, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact