 Off-Topic / Fun / 6001
Re: My Space Theme Wish for 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:51:28 GMT

In lugnet.year.2001, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Quite. In _The Making of 2001_ by Clarke, he relates how the book and the
movie were written essentially at the same time by both of them, with Kubrick
focusing more on script and Clarke more on prose. The book is by "Arthur C
Clarke and Stanley Kubrick" and the movie screenplay is by "Stanley Kubrick
and Arthur C Clarke", deliberately, in order to acknowledge that.

  That's really cool!  I knew about the screenplay, but not the book's byline.

If you are as big a fan of 2001 as I am ('tis the best SF ever, IMHO) you
should get _making_ it's quite informative. It has _The Sentinel_ and some
fascinating aborted tries for rewrites as well as good narrative about how
things got accomplished.

  Is that a book or video or both?  I'd love to see it.
  It's amazing, but even decades later it still remains a standard by which
the realism of other scifi ventures are judged.  I'm a Kubrick fan in any
case, but that film in particular is fantastic!

     Dave!

Thanks for redirecting the thread--I'd meant to FUT -fun but forgot in my