 Off-Topic / Debate / 6591
Re: No promises when I'll be done, but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:15:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
I sure didn't mean to insult or upset anyone with issues, and I realize
everyone has them -- one kind or another.  It's just when a filthy rotten
troll attitude comes out so strongly in someone who seems so oblivious or
ignorant of it, it's tough to remember that sending a personal email is
better than posting a public reply.  I hate to make excuses, though, so I'll
agree that my approach in what I said back to Matthew was wrong, and I'd
better leave it at that.

I should say one thing:  My comment about perfectionism and alcoholism wasn't
meant as a jab or stab -- on the contrary, I meant it as a very serious
question (not that I expect a response) and empathize with anyone suffering
from either or living or knowing anyone who suffers from either.  When I was
younger I suffered from acute perfectionism and to some extent today still
suffer from it somewhat, but have learned to keep it in check and take things
much lighter.  I researched the topic a few years ago and it turned out that
many adult perfectionists have at least one parent who themselves is
perfectionist in some way or is either alcoholic or a child of an alcoholic.
I'm not sure how I became a perfectionist at a young age but both of my parents
are perfectionists to some extent, and my father is a workaholic (actually, he
just loves solving problems).

When someone lets perfectionism or intolerance run their life, it can be a
major problem for them, especially when they don't realize what is really in
control and that there are ways to help.

--Todd

[Disclaimer:  I am not a psychologist, psychiatrist, or cognative therapist.]