 Off-Topic / Debate / 4123
Re: Cheap American shot (Was: NEW Mindstorms set shown (with picture!))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 01:54:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Geddes writes:
"we saved your butts"

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, and I would bet most of the
Americans who fought in WWII would agree. To say "We fought & died along side
of you, in the fight for freedom" is more accurate. We're not talking about a
football game.

If you studied the history books you'd have realized that the war was won by a
global effort, not a knight in shining armour.

It seems to me there was a huge Canadian contribution & an insignificant US
contribution up until 1941. The war was almost played out without any US
involvement. Remember Canada, Australia, Southern Africa and many other areas
were great staging grounds for the Allies to rebuild. While the US may be
powerful, the rest of the world are hardly pushovers.

To say "you helped our butts" would be more accurate ;-)

To say that the United States saved anybody's butt in WWII is ridiculous. I
am American and have a tremendous amount of pride for the role that the US
played in WWII but I wouldn't begin to think that the US saved anyone's
butt. I personally feel that the US involvement in the war served as a
turning point. It helped change the tide and give the allied forces a fresh
group of soldiers willing to fight. You can't look at the details of that
war and belittle the importance of any country. No country was more
important than another. They all fought for the good of freedom. Granted, I
don't think the war would have been won by the allied forces, had the US not
joined in towards the end. On a similar note, I don't feel that the US
would've done a heck of a lot of good had France and Britain not been
involved from the beginning. Nobody can downplay any countries' part in that
war. Sitting here talking about how wonderful one country or another is
because of something that happened almost 60 years ago is as bad as saying
that Germany is evil because of the maniac that was in power at the same time.
    I don't mean to sound like some 60's hippie here, but when are people
going to stop concerning themselves with such ridiculous stereotypes about
other countries and the people that inhabit them?

-Jonathan