 Off-Topic / Debate / 26366
Re: More Election Bad News?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 07:35:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, J. Spencer Rezkalla wrote:
Looks like Proposal 2, a state amendment banning all forms of homosexual
unions will be passed in Michigan:

Well, since the returns were suggesting that this is going to pass 2:1, it looks
like this is a good time to bring this thread back into play.  Michigan doesn't
really have a reputation as a gay-friendly State (outside of Saugatuck, at
least), so I'm less than shocked that this is passing with such a wide margin,
but the opponents have a clear shot at getting it overturned in courts, based
solely on the "or similar unions" bit, which clearly does prohibit people from
freely associating with each other, and causes discriminatory practices to be
made legal, such as denying Domestic Partnership health benefits and inheritence
rights.  If they'd stuck to just "marriages", it would probably be ironclad,
though it wouldn't really affect LGBTs from being able to achieve the same
political status (which is the very reason they went the extra step).