 Off-Topic / Debate / 18582
Re: New Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:21:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Harvey Henkelman writes:
This should be interesting to watch...

http://members.lugnet.com/polls/ballots/?n=121

-Harvey

This poll is flawed:

- doesn't include the universe of possible answers
- doesn't even include a "none of the above"
- displays the poll taker's bias in the way the answers are worded.

So why would it be interesting to watch, exactly?

Or put another way, why is it a useful or appropriate poll to even be taking?

Were you just trying to stir up trouble with it? It could be perceived as
that, in my view.

I think I'm going to start a poll about whether member originated polls are
a good idea or not, or maybe whether members who post seriously flawed polls
ought to have their poll originating privileges revoked. Haven't decided but
I'm tempted.

followups limited to o-t.debate

I'm with Larry on this one--

How can a group called 'off-topic' be about LEGO--it's off-topic.

Of course the ot-d group is not good for the majority of LEGO enthusiasts,
and is only frequented by a relatively small number of folks--but what does
it matter?  It's off-topic.

Of course we discuss religion, politics, the state of affairs in the world,
whatever else--it's off-topic.

Anyway, ot-d is one of the healthier newsgroups I have ever seen on the
internet that allows all matters of debate to take place.  Sure there are
bumps along the road, but we get by.

Dave K