 Off-Topic / Debate / 15816
Re: New Stories from the New Testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 00:45:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Markus Wolf writes:

Okay, I'll take the bait.  Cite me some examples.  I've read the Bible from
cover to cover several times but I've missed those serious disharmonies.

I look forward to hearing those major contraditions you were talking about.

You've missed the serious disharmonies because you didn't WANT to see them.
I can't really blame you, because I remember how nice it felt to believe
that there was a loving God who was watching out for me and would take me up
to heaven when I died.  That's why people believe so strongly, and are able
to ignore the contradictions.  It's called cognitive dissonance.  I hope you
take a few moments to browse some of the web sites that Dave S. listed.  It
is really interesting food for thought.  Be honest with yourself, and you
will be able to see the extreme mental gymnastics that must be engaged in to
try to defend and maintain the literalist view.

Here's a puzzler for you--if the bible is the inspired word of God, then why
are there four different versions of the story of Jesus, each which is
consistent in part and inconsistent in part with the three others?  Which
gospel is "correct?"  If God had divinely inspired all four, why did he not
divinely inspire consistently?

I am not trying to offend you, and you seem like a very nice person.  Some
members of my immediate family have views quite similar to yours, and I
still love them.  I myself can no longer turn off my brain and bask in God's
glory, however.  But it is fun to argue about it.

Aaron