 Off-Topic / Debate / 15288
Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 14:27:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl writes:

Richie Dulin wrote:
Except that you're not a customer of S@H. And not a major customer of the
rest of LEGO either.

Allan Bedford wrote:
You're probably right.  I guess the 50 - 60,000 bricks (all bought in the
last 3 years) that represent my new collection (completely separate from my
childhood collection) really doesn't qualify as a "major customer".

Well, hate to burst your bubble, but 50-60K bricks in 3 years DOESN'T put you in the
"major customer" bracket.  That's a drop in the ocean.  Some people around here have
bought that many bricks (or more) in ONE DAY.  And even that won't begin to be
noticed by TLG, as they don't have a very direct connection with the customer
(unless you ONLY buy from S@H).

Tom, you're not bursting any bubble, you're simply confirming what I said.
I am not, and do not consider myself to be a "major customer" by any
definition.  I have what I think is a fairly small collection for an adult.
50,000 bricks, spread across multiple colors, sizes and shapes, really isn't
a ton of bricks.  I assume many people around here have much more substatial
collections.  My comment was meant to be taken literally, not sarcastically.
My apologies if it was misconstrued.

Allan Bedford wrote:
But
then I never pretended to be.  I am, however, a customer no matter how you
wish to define it.  I am not doing anything other than making serious
suggestions to the company about ways in which they can manufacture products
that I would enjoy buying.  If this doesn't make me a "major customer" then
so beit.  But I don't think it makes me a bad customer.

No, just being noisy to the point that they'll tune you out, no matter if >some of your suggestions are constructive or not.

Then they'll tune me out.  I really can't control that.  But it would be a
shame to not *try*.  Your suggestion that they would disregard constructive
criticism, simply because I'm too vocal about my opinions, doesn't make much
business sense.

In business (at least in retail business, of which LEGO is a part) there is
an old belief that for every one customer who complains about something
there may be as many as 10 who feel the same way but who haven't taken the
time to complain.

Worse yet, that one customer who does complain may also tell friends and
family how dissatisfied they were with the products and/or service from a
particular company.  This sort of bad publicity can erod gains made from
advertising or other methods used by the company, all of which cost money to
accomplish.

So the moral is....

Yes, I may be an internet loud-mouth who some people decide to ignore.  And
that's o.k. with me.  I don't expect many people on LUGNET to agree with me.
But, as mentioned above, I am still a customer of the company and have been
one essentially for 25 years.  I feel I have at least the tiniest right to
say, "Hey, you know what?  I think such-and-such a set could have been
better if you'd only put more zippity-bops in it."  If the company decides
to ignore me it's no skin off my back.

However, I think it's only fair to point out again *why* I moan and complain
so much.  It's my honest and sincere feeling that despite recent successes
like Star Wars, Bionicle and Harry Potter, these are still dark days for the
company.  It's only my opinion, but I think there are signs this may be the
case.  My suggestion is that those who disagree with me continue to
challenge my postings (in a polite way) and let's keep this debate alive.

Or, if you're tired of me, then don't reply to my postings.  I'm not trying
to be a troll, as I will gladly defend anything I've said, or (and I do this
whenever needed) I will agree with you, agree that I was wrong, or flat out
apologize for something I've said that was wrong.

Oh, Tom... I see that your reply ended up looking like you were responding
to Richie's comments instead of mine.  I wonder, were you using the web
interface to post?  I've found that when I go to reply through the web that
the message in improperly formatted right off the hop.  The person's name
(to whose message you are actually replying) ends up *without* the '>' quote
mark.  However, their comments end up *with* the quote mark.  This can be
very confusing if it's not manually corrected.  Have you (or anyone else)
noticed this?

Best regards,
Allan B.