 Off-Topic / Debate / 15214
Re: Is Eduardo is out of line? (was: Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:15:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Brouwer writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, David Gregory writes:
I do object to the swearing, but I agree that people should not make LEGO
minifigs into gay characters.  Anyway, just because someone doesn't like gay
minifigs doesn't mean that they're homophobic.  Instead of homophobia, they
could be homoodious (hating homosexuality instead of fearing it).  Please
remember that just because someone doesn't like something, doesn't mean that
they're scared of it.
      Fuzzy

Why shouldn't they make gay character's?  I don't think you should tell
people what to do or not to do.  Don't like it, don't look at it.

   I think the language used in the Danish statement is a lot more, uh,
   blunt than you'd see in any US statement.  I think the objection is
   to dealing *at all* with issues of overt sexuality--muddy, I know--
   because of the minifig's largely "indeterminate" nature (meaning
   that a minifig can be anything you *want* it to be).  The theory is
   that LEGO pushes none but the broadest social agenda; it's for
   families and children to make decisions about the content of a child's
   play.  LEGO is a tool.

   As for homophobia/homoödia (nice term), it's not illegal and--as
   Larry pointed out--it's not against the ToS.  But people will see the
   poster's attitude, and more importantly that language, and as feeling
   people can make their own decision.  Personally?  I don't think that
   minifigs should be made *specifically* gay, straight, transgendered,
   or *anything* save "feminine" and "masculine."  That decision should
   be the end-users', and theirs alone.  But TLC coming down harshly
   against adult themes in brickfilms doesn't surprise me--even if they
   don't actually do anything, it's important for them to dissociate
   themselves with any sticky social implications.

   That said, I don't think they've got a leg to stand on, but they'll
   surely vote with their support by steering way clear of brickfilms.com.
   That's their right, of course--note that they're not suggesting that
   heterosexuality is the only minifig norm.  You can probably make a
   better case that Duplo has a slant in favor of the "traditional
   family," but then again, it's not as though they're providing a
   prospectus and tracts in each set.  They shouldn't.  LEGO is about
   imagination!

   best

   LFB