 Off-Topic / Debate / 15203
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:38:57 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, David Eaton writes:
Problem #1 - It teaches violent solutions as acceptable solutions (perhaps
even encouraged?) to moral dilemmas.

Of course.  Sometimew it is *unavoidable*  Please provide an acceptable
solution to stopping the moral dilemma of the Nazi tyranny in WWII without
violence.

Ah-- I agree in principle. That it IS sometimes unavoidable. But making it
more commonplace gives it the appearance of not so much of an last-resort,
and more of a general solution.

Problem #2 - It further solidifies a distinction between good and evil which
doesn't exist in Real Life(tm).

Disagree.  I think good and evil can be distinguished IRL.  Sometimes it's
harder than other times, I'll admit.

Disagree. :)
See: evil [below]

Recent example: I was appauled when GB Jr. said in one of his speeches that
moral relativism was bad,

It is:-)

and that the only acceptable moral valuation of
bin Laden was that he is evil. I don't think one needs to recognize him as
evil in order to justify stopping him.

Semantics?  What would be your definition of "evil"?

Evil (ee-vil): 1) [DaveE's dictionary] - that which goes against one's own
sense of morality. (see: Relative morality)

Prior to seeing & hearing about the videotape (which was the time at which
GWB Jr. was speaking) I was under the impression that bin Laden was actually
still capable of being a good person. However, the comments about his own
people not knowing they were commiting suicide pushed the limit. I think
he's most likely evil. Of course by my relativistic theory, I'm not SURE of
it, but it's my guess.

Better example: Bobo the koala gets ahold of a beretta. Bobo plays with it,
and shoots his pal in the head. Is Bobo evil? No. Should he be stopped from
having the gun? Yes. Is violence necessary? Maybe.

I didn't bother to watch.

You didn't miss much... (But are you more innocent for lack of it? :)

Innocence, once lost, is gone forever.  Experience comes with age.  When
experience comes before age (childhood), healthy development is almost
certainly impossible.

I dunno if I agree with that. It would require a definition of healthy, and
I'm not sure it breaks my current assumption of the definition.

Anyone who would rob a child of the chance to develop
normally into a mature, healthy adult... yeah, I'd call them (or their acts)
evil.

I guess we'll just have to disagree until you accept moral relativity, you
evil man :)

DaveE