 Off-Topic / Debate / 15154
Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:53:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Richie Dulin writes:
to round out
my collection with a smattering of 'specialty bricks'.

It seems like you were buying these for parts then...

No, to quote myself from the posting you replied to:

"Whatever parts it happens to contain then so be it.  "

I have never and would never buy a set only to get a part or parts.

But, you said you bought them "to round out my collection with a smattering
of 'specialty bricks'."

If a
good set has interesting parts (and hopefully still a hefty dose of basic
bricks) then I buy it.

But you said you buy sets for good designs. And you just said "I have never
and would never buy a set only to get a part or parts.".

How can you reconcile "I have never and would never buy a set only to get a
part or parts.  " and "If a good set has interesting parts (and hopefully
still a hefty dose of basic bricks) then I buy it. ", other than Orwellian
doublethink??

This is one of the reasons I'm a big supporter of
bulk and service pack sales.

But haven't you said you don't use S@H?

[snip]

Take my recent fire truck model for example.  Its internal frame and external
body are primarily BASIC bricks.  However some of the accent pieces are
anything from Technic bricks, to Star Wars light grey slopes to transparent
1x1 rounds for lights etc.

http://www.apotome.com/lego/station71/engine71.htm

Nice model.

The contrast to this style of building might be best shown in the Jack Stone
Police Headquarters.  This set uses specialized pieces where basic bricks
would have done just as well.  To my mind this is the cardinal sin of LEGO
building.

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4611

How many pieces does your fire truck have? A similar number to the Police
Station? Is it a valid comparison?

There is no reason that those white columns could not have been done with
stacks of regular 2x2 bricks.

They are easier for young kids (3+) to assemble. 2x2 bricks aren't textured
and wouldn't look as good.

Using specialty pieces just for the sake of creating expensive new molds
for parts just doesn't seem to make economic sense.

Think of all that money wasted on Bionicle molds... Think of all the clever
uses for those and other new parts in the future.

Hmmm...

So to sum up: you want better designs and better brick selections, but when
LEGO makes them available, they're too expensive for you?

Richie... I don't know where you are, but I live in Canada.  We used to have
a division of LEGO operating within our borders.  I used to order from the
Shop At Home service and get service packs and Technic bulk bricks I needed.
Then they closed down LEGO Canada.

If you take a look at the Shop At Home catalog that now arrives at my door
you'll notice that everything is in U.S. prices.  So if you want to know how
much a set (or bulk pack) will cost me, then double the price.  It's
actually more than that, but I'm trying to keep this simple.

Then add in shipping (which is also quoted in U.S. dollars).  To order any
significant quantity of bulk bricks would require me to secure a bank loan,
or miss a mortgage payment.  I am simply advocating for more reasonable
pricing on bulk bricks OR (big OR) put more assorted tubs and buckets in
retail stores here in Canada where I can buy them readily.

I'm in Australia. We have S@H now, although I thought we would never see it.
We wanted it, and LEGO delivered it, and now I support S@H. Delivery is
expensive, true. Selection isn't as wide as it might be, true. But I can
live with that. Things are getting better, and I think they'll continure to
get better.

I'm a LEGO builder Richie... not an AFOL, not a collector, not a reseller.

Me too.

My primary goal (with regards to dealing with the LEGO company) is to get
them to understand that for a certain segment of their market, these are
dark times.

But they're not... there's great stuff available.

Finding bricks that are readily available and moderately priced
(at least here in Canada) is a tough assignment.

You didn't agree or disagree with my summation: you want better designs and
better brick selections, but when LEGO makes them available, they're too
expensive for you?

If that's the case, maybe the problem is more of a personal budget issue for
you than it is a policy problem for LEGO.

Cheers

Richie Dulin