 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1376
Re: Q2 Mega Bloks conference call (Re: DRAGONS ROCKS!!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 17:11:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti writes:
I don't see how this can be true...

Everyone knows construction brick toys are a dying breed.  You can't sell
girls construction bricks and regular bricks just do not sell.

Is there profit mainly in the Dragons (a toy I will be buying in zero
quantity beyond the one tin I already purchased)?

  I don't know anything about specific trading figures, but I can say that
Dragons have disappeared from the shelves far faster than any other
MegaBloks or LEGO product in recent memory--including the 1st round of Star
Wars stuff in my area (which was, admittedly, a different area from that in
which I now make my comparisons).  Your previous observations on the
shortcomings of the product line were very much on-the-mark, in terms of
construction toy value, but I wonder if MB has hit on a strong genre
interest among Wargamers or general fantasy enthusiasts.  Hmm...
  Now that I think of it, this may be a marketing windfall for MB. If LEGO
is hamstrung re: Castle while the Harry Potter cash cow endures, perhaps
MegaBloks can corner the market on clever castle designs in the meantime.
Granted, the crop so far hasn't shown the best in construction designs, but
I see great potential if the fantastic model-designers at MB turn their
attentions to the Dragons line.  There could even be some awesome spillover
into the ProBuilder line if they'd include the stone bricks (in more than
just the 2x4 variety) in architectural models.  That would be super cool.
  We'll see, I guess.

     Dave!