 MediaWatch / 760
759  |  761
Subject:
Lego trains mentioned in "Classic Toy Trains"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:20:20 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In the current (Nov. '02) issue of Classic Toy Trains, Lego trains get a
mention.  There is an article where 15 "experts" discuss the future of toy
trains:

Joe Lesser, book and magazine author:
"I am also intrigued with the Lego electric trains.  I saw a Lego layout at
an event, and youngsters from at least 3 to 10 couldn't walk away from it.
The concept of growing up with Lego toys and then making the leap to
building a Lego toy train layout is exciting"

It would have been nice if they had given a city and state for Mr. Lesser;
we may have been able to make and educated guess as to which club's layout
he saw.

I also think it's great sign that a positive quote like this comes from
someone outside of our hobby -- he's not a Lego person at all, but he sees
the advantages of Lego trains and how they could help the toy train hobby in
general.

As a side note, I think this group of train hobbyists -- the "toy" train
lovers -- would be the group most likely to find something to like in Lego
trains.  Their usual scale ('O') matches ours the closest; they have a lot
of non-prototype "just for fun" items in their hobby; and they're also a
group that is occasionally looked down upon by the more accuracy-oriented
scales.

-Greg