 MediaWatch / 417
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 05:46:40 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Jason Rowoldt writes:
Hi John,

Since you have personally attacked me, I feel I need to respond.  However,
I'm (going to try to) not personally attack you in response.  I don't think
that's going to do anything.

From the nature of the comments you have left, I can tell there is no sense
having a rational "argument" with you.

Well, you're wrong.  I'd love to have a rational discussion about this subject.

  Basically, you are ignorant of the
issues involved.

If you would, I would like to hear from you what the issues are here, because I
think we are talking about 2 different things.

  You have not watched ANY of the movies in question.  I
doubt you have even visted Brickfilms.com.

You are wrong.  I have seen some of the movies on your site.

I'll address a few comments you have made, but I am ignoring personal
attacks and chalking it up to ... well, how shall I put it .. bad manners
and a childish mentality on your part.

Well, so much for your moratorium on ad hominem attacks;-)

In lugnet.mediawatch, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.mediawatch, Jason Rowoldt writes:
No, to me the issue at hand is the lack of responsibility and common sense on
your part.  Creating "adult" movies out of LEGO MFs is just plain stupid and
tasteless.

What do you mean by "adult" movies?  There are nothing anywhere near what
you would think of as "porn" on my site.  Again, watch the movies before
making ignorant comments like this.  In addition, I have made no movies with
any adult themes of any kind.

An adult movie is a movie that contains adult content.  Sex is an adult topic.
Gay sex is definately an adult topic.

Here's the deal, Jason.  You are on a very slippery slope.  Perhaps today you
may offer movies that are only slighty racy with a touch of sexual innuendo.
But as times progresses, the level will only increase.  Before you know it, you
will be in over your head with junk.

You seem to have a good thing going with Brickfilms, and again I ask, "Why ruin
a good thing?"  You don't need to include movies with such content, and it has
nothing to do with artistic integrity, but everything to do with editorial
responsibility.

So why sully a good thing by allowing such filth?  Or is it *that* which is
getting you all of the attention?  The only people whom I can envision enjoying
your LEGO porn are Beavis and Butthead types.  If the "sole" purpose of your
site is to promote "quality film-making", then why the hell are you displaying
this type of material???!!!  Sorry to break the news to you since you seem not
to have already heard: porn *isn't* quality.

Again, see above.

(I'm looking at you, OCAP *grin*)
and can take some more adult themed movies. In fact I'd love to see more
movies like "Girl". The NY Times just recently did a story on us FOR more
adult movies. That reporter was asking me for directors who have done
serious stuff and I pointed her in the right direction.

Unbelievable.  What a patsy you are.

I'm not even goign to try and understand what you are talking about.

I'll explain.  I'm just wondering *why* the NYT would want "more adult movies"
created from a child's toy such as LEGO.  To me, if a LEGO film cannot be safely
seen by a child, it really shouldn't be made.  But our society thinks it's a
hoot-- would you gladly accommodate them?  Maybe you can explain to me the
rationale behind such films.  Having MFs swear, or copulate, or murder, or do
drugs, tell dirty jokes (you get the idea) just doesn't seem right.

We are adults playing with a child's toy.  I think it is wrong to turn it into
some kind of "adult thing".  "Play Well" is a motto by which we all here in
LUGNET try to abide-- I simply don't think that allowing some of the movies you
do on your site is living by that motto.  And if you happen to incur the wrath
of TLC, that's another indication that you are not, either.

Really?  Maybe there isn't.  Maybe you should do what adult sites do and require
some adult ID check before people can enter your site.  That would be the
responsible thing to do.

Well, since you have not watched any of the films, again I must say .. for what?

And again I respond: To keep them away from children's eyes.  Even if 95% of
your site is okay with kids, what good is that if 5% of it isn't?  Regulate it,
or better yet, simply refuse to post movies of questionable content.  What is so
hard with that?  Why do you feel the need to present such material?  Because you
don't want to be seen as a....*CENSOR*???  It's your site; you can do whatever
you want with it.  Period.

From here, you just degenerate into ramblings.  I think your post was in
really bad form and hope you maybe you think a bit and watch a few movies
before you judge anything prematurely.  If I didn't get to knwo you better
and judged you by this one post, for instance, I would think you were
"Church Lady" from SNL.

lol And who made you think of that?  I wonder who would do such a
thing...SATAN???

All kidding aside, I apologize for coming on a little strong in my initial post;
the whole idea of "adulticizing" LEGO is a hot button for me-- why people feel
the need to bastardize it into something surley is beyond me.  I'm not saying
that people don't have the right to; I'm saying that they don't have the
responsibilty *not* to, or at least do it beyond the watchful eyes of children.
Which is why I guess I came down hard on you-- because you have the power to
curb that kind of material on your site, but yet you feel that you can't, lest
you compromise your "artistic integrity".  I just think that's hogwash.

I suggest you think hard about what you want Brickfilms to be-- a site that is a
repository of adult-themed rubbish, constantly dodging TLC lawyers, or one that
TLC would be proud to sponsor and associate.

The world will say, "Don't compromise!", but in fact life is full compromises.
Compromise doesn't make you any less an artist, just evidence of a mature one.

-John