 MediaWatch / 3149
3148  |  3150
Subject:
LEGO has launched a lot of bogus lawsuits over the years
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2015 15:39:59 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, “Abner” amf70@aol.com wrote:
   The ITC commissioners sided with LEGO, voting March 11 to let the case proceed. It will be tried by an administrative law judge, and could result in an import ban on the infringing products.

But this one might actually have teeth.

Although I don’t believe that a knowledgeable consumer will readily mistake the two products, I can see how the shared shelf space might create brand confusion.

Also, I have a coworker whose daughter is crazy about the Friends line, and when I showed him one of the My Life As minidolls he couldn’t tell them apart. Whoops.

My Life As is a limited line exclusive to Walmart, and the sets include no unique pieces other than packaging, decals & the minidolls themselves. I suspect that the product line involved little front-end outlay, so even if a hard ban is enforced, it won’t have too great an impact on Mega Brands. LEGO will have a hard time demonstrating that they’ve suffered losses or damages, too.

We’ll see how it plays out. Both sides have made interesting arguments, so I’m curious to see it move forward.