 MediaWatch / 1384

Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:00:50 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Matthew Miller wrote:
Purple Dave <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote:
Huh?  "LEGO bricks" is the standard preferred term.  And who does he
think he is, going around and lecturing people on proper trademark
protection when he's typing "Lego" instead of "LEGO"? Just because
someone says that "LEGO" can't be pluralized into "LEGOS" doesn't mean
that they're saying that "LEGO" is the plural of "LEGO".

I think you need to read the last paragraph again. :)

As for the capitalization issue: that's a very long-standing conflict
between marketing/sales/companies and journalists. See:

<http://www.theslot.com/webnames.html>

Which includes the classic summary: "You want all caps? Go buy an ad!"

As that article points out, and as you'll see elsewhere, AP style (which
most newspapers follow) dictates that company names are printed in all
caps only if each letter is pronounced separately. El ee gee oh would be
LEGO; Lego is Lego.

Does that mean we should henceforth say El You Gee Enn Ee Tee instead of LUGNET?

Dave!
(not purple, though my prose can be purple when it's red (well, "read"), and my
language can be blue)

Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos
Does that mean we should henceforth say El You Gee Enn Ee Tee instead of
LUGNET?

:) If you want. But I usually write "Lugnet" or "LUGnet".

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos
In lugnet.mediawatch, Matthew Miller wrote:
   Dave Schuler orrex@excite.com wrote:
   Does that mean we should henceforth say El You Gee Enn Ee Tee instead of LUGNET?

:) If you want. But I usually write “Lugnet” or “LUGnet”.

I think the correct way is “LUGNet” - because it refers to LEGO Users Group Network.

And re: Kleenex and Band-Aids - I dont like those companies. I like TLG - and I try to do what TLG asks me to because I hope they do what I ask them to (good castle sets ;) ).

-lah

Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos
In lugnet.mediawatch, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.mediawatch, Matthew Miller wrote:
   Dave Schuler orrex@excite.com wrote:
   Does that mean we should henceforth say El You Gee Enn Ee Tee instead of LUGNET?

:) If you want. But I usually write “Lugnet” or “LUGnet”.

I think the correct way is “LUGNet” - because it refers to LEGO Users Group Network.

True, but the title page shows LUGNET in all caps. Hmm...

Admins, I demand transparency on this pressing issue--why so secretive all of a sudden? 8^)

Dave!

Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos