 Marketplace / Shipping / 526
Re: To Tape or not to Tape
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 00:05:46 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Paul Janssen writes:
In lugnet.market.shipping, Kevin Salm writes:
I sell on BrickLink and other venues from time to time and ship a lot of • items
in padded mailers.  For a long time, I always used the self-adhesive on the
envelope AND applied a piece of shipping tape over the flap.  Lately I have
stopped the practice of using the tape.

When I re-use padded mailers, I first seal them up with either paste, rubber
cement, or hot glue AND use a piece of tape.  For used envelopes, the tape
appears to be necessary.

So I would like to hear opinions, observations, etc on whether tape should • be
used on new padded mailers.  I just want to know what others think.

__Kevin Salm__

I have meanwhile send 1000+ orders in new padded envelops (incl.
internationally). I used to tape the flap shut, but stopped doing this abuot • 6
months ago. Since then, all orders (500+) have made it just fine to their
buyers, not a single complaint envelops opening up. Thus, I think it is safe • to
omit the tape on new envelops (unlike USPS priority mail boxes....:<).

Thanks Paul.  Glad I am not the only one who figured out that the tape is
unnecessary.

After I posted this, I realized I forgot to mention that I absolutely DO NOT
over stuff padded mailers.  I only use sizes 000, 00, 0 and size 1 for Lego
shipments and use boxes for orders that will not comfortably fit in the padded
mailers.  And the funny thing is that just today I received a BrickLink order
that was packed into a size 000 padded mailer.  And the thing was taped shut to
keep it from exploding!!  I would have never thought so much Lego would fit in
such a tiny package.  Fortunately, things were packed quite well inside and
nothing was damaged.  So I did a test to see what size envelope I would have
used, and I ended up using a size 1 padded mailer for best fit but a size 0
would also have been adequate but slightly overstuffed.

I don't buy in quantites as large as Paul (cases of 25 for me) but I have
noticed that there are differences among padded mailers.  I like the european
type best -- they have an easily removable bubble layer so that the paper
covering can be recycled.  When removed, the used bubble wrap makes for a nice
little pouch for packing Lego.  The disadvantage is that the envelope seams are
not as strong and sometimes require reinforcing at the edges.

In the USA, bubble envelopes are pretty much all the same.  Some have
self-adhesive closures, some do not but most other differences are
indistinquishable.  But jiffy padded mailers (lined with ground-up newspaper)
are not adequate for Lego as they do not provide the same level of padding as
bubbles--plus the envelopes themselves are heavier and result in heavier gross
weights which just gives the Post Office more revenue.

__Kevin Salm__