 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 17814
17813  |  17815
Subject:
LEGO Insurance Price Guide....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2012 22:34:37 GMT

In the past I had 2 frantic LEGO sellers who asked me for help for them getting
their Insurance claims settled with the United States Postal Service. For anyone
who has ever tried to collect insurance claims from the USPS, you will know that
it is like pulling teeth! ... and they're not exactly the quickest claims
settlers around...

I gave them a screen print of the Insurance Price Guide Page from my Unofficial
LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (1949-90) ... then it was on CD, now on DVD.
The 2 sellers had tried a Bricklink database price guide print, but the USPS
didn't seem to accept that... but they did accept my Insurance guide. A few
months ago I myself put this to the test, and was able to use my own guide as a
"reference" for settling my claim.

My Insurance Price Guide only covers 1949-80s... but those are the years where
pricing information is hard to come by. And I follow the standard toy
collectibles price guide grades of 1) VERY GOOD, 2) EXCELLENT, 3) MINT IN BOX,
and 4) MINT IN SEALED BOX (with this grade, getting an exact number is
problematic... so the "+" sign helps show that it can be valued much more).

Since the Fantasia book (LEGO Collectors Guide) only lists 1 to 6 bricks for a
rareness indicator, that book cannot be used for any insurance purposes.

Here is a sample page from my DVD (which has a nearly 400 page guide in Dollars
and a duplicate 400 page guide in Euros) which has a total of 10,156 insurance
values. Not only can you use this as a "compables guide", but also in helping
you determine your collections worth for insurance purposes...

#376 - HOUSE W/ GARDEN SET (1978)

VG------------------EX---------------------MIB---------------------MISB

#376- House w/ Garden set (EU/UK/AUS/CAN)

EU45-EU60------------EU60-EU75-------------EU100-EU125--------------EU150+

#377 - TRUCK W/ TRAILER & CRANE SET(1971)

VG------------------EX---------------------MIB---------------------MISB

#377- Truck w/ Trailer & Crane set (EU/UK/AUS)

EU50-EU75-----------EU75-EU100-------------EU125-EU150--------------EU200+

#377 - SHELL STATION SET (1978)

VG------------------EX---------------------MIB----------------------MISB

#377- Shell Station set (EU/UK/AUS/CAN)

EU60-EU80-----------EU80-EU110-------------EU135-EU160--------------EU200+

#379 - BUS STATION SET (1979)

VG------------------EX---------------------MIB-----------------------MISB

#379- Bus Station set (EU/UK/AUS/CAN)

EU75-EU100----------EU125-EU150-------------EU175-EU225--------------EU300+

#380 - VILLAGE SET (1969-71)

VG-------------------EX--------------------MIB-----------------------MISB

#380- Village set (UK/AUS)

EU200-EU225----------EU250-EU275-----------EU400-EU600---------------EU800+

So my DVD is a handy reference besides just learning the history and A B Cs of
LEGO sets and parts... but for insurance (and valuation) purposes as well...

Cheers,
Gary Istok

P.S. Still available in my Bricklink store, either as a DVD or as a downloadable
set of files...
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=istokg&itemID=32384933

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=istokg&itemID=32819532